Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Treating or working with ADHD without medication? (Edit)

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

To those of you with children with ADHD: have any of you treated or worked with your children without the use of medication? If so, what worked for you?

Just to be clear, I'm not against medication, it's just that my daughter's doctor feels like most medications she would prescribe would be hard on her stomach.  With her other health issues, the doctor felt like it would not be a good idea, and wants us and the schools to find other methods.

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

nothing worked -but meds , as he gets older 13 now he is off meds awhile now

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

No experience but good luck:)

x_Starr_x
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Tried everything under the sun since 3 nothing worked but intuniv its a non stimulant and he's 11 now
DDDaysh
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I have tried almost everything.  Diets, therapy, behavioral programs, schedules and many different medications. 

Stimulants are the only thing that really work enough for DS to be able to really help, but his body is very sensitive to the delivery method.  We use a patch (Daytrana) of methylphenidate which works the best because there is no sharp decline that was giving us alot of emotional issues.  We also use Intuniv to better help with impulsiveness and to smooth some of the rough edges we still get from the stimulant, and because the Daytrana can take a while to kick in, we have short acting Focalin that we use as a booster sometimes. 

When he was unmedicated, I tried a few natural suppliments.  Omega 3 helped the most.  Chewing gum and listening to music lengthen his attention span with desk work a little bit.  (Say, 4-5 minutes without redirection rather than 1-2).  We still use visual schedules and timers to help him remember what needs to be done and prompt him to complete tasks.  Those do help, but they just aren't enough on their own.

3mom627
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I don't know how old your daughter is, but my son whom I adopted at 12 has been on meds. He also has ODD. If he doesn't take his meds, he is a very angry miserable person. He is now 18 and has decided that he will not take his meds when he works as he feels it slows him down.

Ask your doctor about herbal medication because that may be easier on her stomach. 

I have worked with children in the school and can see an improvement once they get the right medication.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Pukalani79
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM

She is 8.  She has chronic abdominal migraines, so the doctor is hesitant to do anything that will be even harder on her stomach, which I appreciate. She is  not hyper, she just has trouble focusing on anything for very long.  My other daughter has a general anxiety disorder as well as a mood disorder, and for her the meds are the difference between whether or not she can function, so I'm not against medication in the leaset.  I was just hoping for some ideas to help her focus a little better.

Quoting 3mom627:

I don't know how old your daughter is, but my son whom I adopted at 12 has been on meds. He also has ODD. If he doesn't take his meds, he is a very angry miserable person. He is now 18 and has decided that he will not take his meds when he works as he feels it slows him down.

Ask your doctor about herbal medication because that may be easier on her stomach. 

I have worked with children in the school and can see an improvement once they get the right medication.

EBont
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

We were not against medications either but just felt our son was too young to medicate (he's 5) so we decided to try a program called playattention and we having great success, it is working for us. I've posted before about this and what we did was watch the webinar first and then made the decision. It could help you especially under your circumstances. Hope this helps you. We thought we may have had to homeschool him but he has progressed so much we believe he could go into the public system. Socially he is now up to his emotional age.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Quoting 3mom627:

may i ask what he takes?

TommyAbby
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I have with my son for his ADD and my daughter for her ADHD. We tried everything first for a few years and then it was just getting too much with them falling behind in school so now they are both on the lowest dose of meds and what a change!!! 

Get a good therapist to help, and I have seen it work for some. 

3mom627
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My son taked 72 mg. of Concerta. We have an appointment with a therapist to talk to about his anger and I hope to see a psychiatrist to see if this dosage is still ok. He has been on quite a few meds, so if one doesn't work, don't be afraid to as for another one.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting 3mom627:

may i ask what he takes?

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)