Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

School starts in 2 weeks...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 6 Replies
And Jake is already getting anxious! Meanwhile, his 4 y/o brother (non-special needs) is super excited. I have done zero shopping because everytime I saysomething about school shopping Jake has a melt down. I'm about to just go with him kicking and screaming and ignore the crazy looks I get! I wish I knew how to make it easier for him but I dont . Any mamas have suggestions?
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
iamtryingforme
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:16 PM

See if you can walk through the school with him. Maybe even see his classroom. Make it a fun event. Let him pick out his new backpack, lunchbox, pencil case etc. Maybe a good experience will make it an easier transaction. I found a loving reassurance always works wonders with my dd.  

2_amazing_boys
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
This isn't his 1st year but last year wasnt nearly this stressful. I think it is because school is so hard for him. We do what they call "open house" here where we go in and meet his teacher and find out where he is going to sit and we walk thru his schedule for the day...its just getting there that is frustrating me
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Have him help pick everything out, see if you can meet the teacher, see his classroom etc. Good luck!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM

After he starts going to school is he better? If he gets better after school starts why not wait and just do the back to school shopping after school starts? 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I'm sorry mama!  My son doesn't understand anything like that...hugs!

my3makemehappy
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM

School starts here in 3 weeks and I haven't done any shopping for my 6 almost 7yr old cause he refuses to pick out any clothes for school. If you know his sizes I would just go without him and you can always return or exchange what doesn't fit. I'm thinking about doing this for my son's clothes! I have all the shopping for my daughter done, she was excited about shopping, not so much about school! lol She is in middle school and not special needs. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)