Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: New neighbors babies so ugly they are cute!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

We have some new neighbors that have moved in. They did it while we weren't looking. 

Lina is fascinated by them!        Enjoy the following pics!

Mommy & Daddy Barn Swallows. The nest is in the rafter of our front porch right over the place we walk in and out!

Mommy

Daddy

We counted what we think is 4 plus egg. They are about 2 days old. UGLY!

They are about 7 days old. There are 3 strong enough to bring their heads up. You can only see 2 right here.    Still UGLY but kind a cute now.

Using a mirror to see into the nest. Here you can see that 3 have their heads stretched over the edge of the nest. Can't tell if there are 1 or 2 more chicks in there. 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Oh my!!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM
How fun though!
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM

wow

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM

In about another week they will have feathers and look much cuter. Lina wants me to keep taking pictures so she can see them. So we are going to watch them grow and leave the nest. I am going to have lots of pictures of Baby Barn Swallows! lol

Quoting mandee1503:

How fun though!

Mipsy
by Chelle on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Awww how neat!
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM

We started using the back deck and with in a week they had snuck in and began to build a nest it was half way finished so I couldn't force them to leave then. About 5 years ago another pair nested in the same spot and they used to argue with each other because he kept putting the nest pieces in the wrong place, typical male. Watching a pair of Barn Swallows is fun because they can get really funny with their antics.  

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Oh my!!

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

They can be really funny to watch especially during the nest building phase. Well as long as they don't build it over the walk area. 

Quoting Mipsy:

Awww how neat!

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM
So cute. We used to get blue jays and doves nesting in our yard. I guess they moved out when the dogs moved in. The doves built such flimsy nests. Once it was in my dh's white fishing boots lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Quoting Bluecalm:

So cute. We used to get blue jays and doves nesting in our yard. I guess they moved out when the dogs moved in. The doves built such flimsy nests. Once it was in my dh's white fishing boots lol.

5 years ago a pair built a nest in the same place and I named the birds Frank & Marie from Everybody Loves Raymond. Those 2 birds yelled at each other. He would bring in a piece of mud and place it on the nest, the whole time he is working on the nest she is yelling at him, as soon as he flies away she goes over and begins to move the pieces he placed to where she wanted them. This went on until the nest was exactly the way she wanted it. I watched her toss the thistle down out because she didn't like it, she brought in her own down. I would sit out there and laugh at their antics. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)