Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think melatonin is making my son aggressive, have you had this experience?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 6 Replies

DS takes adderall and tenex. They work okay. He's more focused at school, better behaved, etc. But he has a hard time sleeping at night.

After school, we always go out and play and have our night time routine, but I think I've gotten use to giving him melatonin and him sleeping at the same time and waking up at the same time.

Recently, his adderall dosage increased (which isn't good, we are going back to the old dosage) but was having a harder time at night so I have him 4.5mg of melatonin instead of the 3mg that he usually takes.

And this morning, he was just ... way more pinchy. His 1st reaction was too go to pinch me. Its not a hard pinch. I can tell he holds back from hurting me, but still....

Have you had this experience?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know. I've heard there's no side effects to it. Maybe it's the other med being increased?
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't had anything like this happen with my son when he's taken Melatonin.  Hugs mama!

mlogsdon
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

I don't know. I've heard there's no side effects to it. Maybe it's the other med being increased?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Genie2
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I never heard of it happening.  My son takes Methlyln for his ADHD and he is Autistic.  I give him almost the same dosage as you give your son to help him sleep.  He sleeps well and acts like what he always acts like in the morning.   Maybe it is a different reason but, I am not sure.

britmichele
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
no, but if u want to see if it's the melatonin, u could stop it and switch him to tart cherry juice instead. It has natural melatonin like qualities :)
Monkiebut
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I doubt it's the melatonin but you can nix it and see. I would bet $ it's a different medication or just a bad day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)