Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Separation anxiety for kindergarten:( need advice..

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:07 AM
  • 17 Replies
Hi moms so it's me with the separation anxiety for my son starting kindergarten in August I'm so nervous for him to be away from me for that long he's also taking the bus to school and back on Thursdays and Fridays. I'm nervous will he be ok away from me? what if he cries will they be there for him? will they be nice? how will he handle school for so long? Will he eat at lunch he never ate in preschool what if he doesn't eat at kinder and is hungry all day?? When he went to preschool it was for 4 hours and I missed him very much and kinder is I think 6 hours or 7 not sure? But longer than 4 hours. He loves school and loved going never cried once for me when I left it's always me who is crying to leave:( I don't work I am a sahm so we spend every moment together.. Any advice moms??thank you
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Chelle on Jul. 27, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Try volunteering at his school!!! I'm having issyes with my son starting kinder too. He starts next Thursday!! Ack!! Its just a lot to prepare for and dealing with an actual school (where absences actually count and my son has many do to his health) and its got me stressed to the bone. My sons kinder is only 3 hours though, so that helps. But our school requires a minimum of 12 hours volunteered for parents, but with me bringing his service dog I'm going to be there a lot more. The principal says they will end up just getting me a faculty badge so I can come and go as needed to help my son and his class. That has now evolved to me applying to be a substitute for office staff and aides etc :) I'm a sahm too so I figure why not volunteer and maybe eventually work there? :)
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I worried about Lina in the beginning when she began the developmental preschool because she was only 3 at the time and virtually non-verbal, stranger anxiety, and she had seperation anxiety. So my seperation anxiety was there too. It lasted for the first month or so and after talking to her teacher and aids a couple of times about how she was doing I was fine with her leaving on the bus every M-Th, for 4 hours. It helped when she came home smiling.

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  •             R   &   A                Lina 
  •     teenage terror time!    special to all of us!
CYNTHIA8401
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Thank u for the reply I think I'm going to volunteer as much as possible:)

Quoting Mipsy:

Try volunteering at his school!!! I'm having issyes with my son starting kinder too. He starts next Thursday!! Ack!! Its just a lot to prepare for and dealing with an actual school (where absences actually count and my son has many do to his health) and its got me stressed to the bone. My sons kinder is only 3 hours though, so that helps. But our school requires a minimum of 12 hours volunteered for parents, but with me bringing his service dog I'm going to be there a lot more. The principal says they will end up just getting me a faculty badge so I can come and go as needed to help my son and his class. That has now evolved to me applying to be a substitute for office staff and aides etc :) I'm a sahm too so I figure why not volunteer and maybe eventually work there? :)

CYNTHIA8401
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Thank you for your reply:)

Quoting Linagma03:

I worried about Lina in the beginning when she began the developmental preschool because she was only 3 at the time and virtually non-verbal, stranger anxiety, and she had seperation anxiety. So my seperation anxiety was there too. It lasted for the first month or so and after talking to her teacher and aids a couple of times about how she was doing I was fine with her leaving on the bus every M-Th, for 4 hours. It helped when she came home smiling.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Homeschool ;)

No, volunteering is a good idea. Try to relax and find something you like doing while he's gone so there's a positive side for you
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I felt the same way when my little guy started K, except that he always loved preschool, so I knew he would love K.  But, like you, I was worried about the long day and especially about his eating.  He has serious feeding issues, so we were actually able to get some feeding into his IEP and those goals insured that he would eat a certain amount and that he would be assisted with feeding.  I would say to give that area a bit of time and if you find he isn't eating, request an IEP meeting and ask to have some lunchtime assistance added to his IEP. 

With all of that said, my son LOVED K and had a great year.  Try not to worry to much.  :)

CYNTHIA8401
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Thank you I'm going to ask for a IEP as soon as school starts I didn't even know I can asks for feeding assistance he is a very picky eater me and his dad still have to feed him because he will not hold his own fork or spoon he knows how and will feed himself if it's yogurt but not meals. We been really wanting to ask for a IEP they didn't give him one this year they just had us sign a paper that says he will have the same goals he only receives speech therapy for 15 min a week so we want to also bring that up. Thank you so much for letting me know about this I will be telling his dad as soon as it's morning time that we can ask for feeding assistance:) I'd feel better knowing they are atleast trying to have him eat instead of just not. Thank you sorry such a long reply..

Quoting jjamom:

I felt the same way when my little guy started K, except that he always loved preschool, so I knew he would love K.  But, like you, I was worried about the long day and especially about his eating.  He has serious feeding issues, so we were actually able to get some feeding into his IEP and those goals insured that he would eat a certain amount and that he would be assisted with feeding.  I would say to give that area a bit of time and if you find he isn't eating, request an IEP meeting and ask to have some lunchtime assistance added to his IEP. 

With all of that said, my son LOVED K and had a great year.  Try not to worry to much.  :)

CYNTHIA8401
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:29 AM
I'm going to try to stay busy well he's at school maybe start working out lol

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Homeschool ;)

No, volunteering is a good idea. Try to relax and find something you like doing while he's gone so there's a positive side for you

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Hugs mama!  These ladies have some great ideas:)

jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM
My son had just finished an intensive feeding therapy program a few months before he began K. He had a protocol from the hospital that needed to be followed. It took a couple of meetings at the beginning of K to get it all in place. He will be going into 2nd grade this year and still has some feeding goals. They included his protocol in his IEP under the supplemental supports section. I have to admit that I met with a little resistance, but I knew I had the feeding clinic team behind me, so I stood my ground.

Does your son have an aide? You can ask for 1:1 assistance during lunchtime (even if he doesn't have it at other times).

I can't believe they had you just sign a paper to continue his goals without holding an annual review. I think that might be illegal. Also, it seems particularly important for transition to K.

Quoting CYNTHIA8401:

Thank you I'm going to ask for a IEP as soon as school starts I didn't even know I can asks for feeding assistance he is a very picky eater me and his dad still have to feed him because he will not hold his own fork or spoon he knows how and will feed himself if it's yogurt but not meals. We been really wanting to ask for a IEP they didn't give him one this year they just had us sign a paper that says he will have the same goals he only receives speech therapy for 15 min a week so we want to also bring that up. Thank you so much for letting me know about this I will be telling his dad as soon as it's morning time that we can ask for feeding assistance:) I'd feel better knowing they are atleast trying to have him eat instead of just not. Thank you sorry such a long reply..

Quoting jjamom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN