Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

night terrors or what?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM
  • 7 Replies

The top pic is my Freya when she was two months old (December 2010). The bottom pic is her back in May of this year. I know I have taken more pics of her more recently, but my phone broke and I can't find them on my Facebook or computer.

Anyway, she keeps waking up in the middle of the night screaming or crying. Sometimes she wants to cuddle, other times she doesn't want to be held. Sometimes I can hear her coughing right before the outburst, although tonight she actually just sat bolt upright and farted rather loudly, which would have been funny had she not then immediately started another screeching fit. She will sometimes tell me her head hurts, but other times she says her legs hurt. She will usually fall back to sleep pretty quickly, unless someone makes a big deal out of her fussing (like big sister trying to bring her lovies to make her feel better).

She was failure to thrive in infancy and required scheduled high calorie feedings every couple of hours until she was about nine months old. She had developmental delays. She didn't sit unassisted or crawl til she was over a year. She had bone abnormalities in infancy which the pediatrician she had at the time said they'd "wait and see" on. Because of some of her features and behaviours, William's Syndrome has been mentioned, but she still hasn't had the FISH test. She's getting evaluated on Tuesday about her developmental delays at a preschool that does physical, occupational, and speech therapies.

What's frustrating is that she hasn't seen any pediatrician long enough or often enough (partly because she's been on medicaid and partly because we've moved a lot in the last two years) for any one doctor to be concerned about her enough to follow through with testing her for things. I'd rather them test her and prove me to be a ridiculously worrying mom than to not test her and she have problems that go untreated.

My mother had surgery a few years ago for a Chiari 1 malformation, and when I told her about my daughter's crying fits she said I should ask the doctor to do another MRI to check for that since it can run in families (the last one she had was when she was four months old). I don't want to be paranoid and overreact, since it could just be night terrors.

Any advice (other than the obvious of calling the doctor again)?

Here's here in Jan of 2011:

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mlogsdon
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:51 AM
I don't know, I'm sorry. That has to be tough. Mine has night terrors (I'm assuming) and about an hour to two hours after he goes to sleep, he will start screaming like hes in pain, or terrified of something, and THROW himself away from me if I try to comfort him. Luckily that's not every night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Hugs mama!  I would definitely find a doctor who will listen to you and I'd ask for all those tests you have mentioned above...sounds like you have good reason to suspect something might be going on.  Hugs and good luck!

my3makemehappy
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM

My son had night terrors and when he had his he was never fully awake. We had to just sit there and let it runs it's course cause his doctor said to never try and wake him. So we just told him it was ok and he would eventually lay back down and go to sleep. It was also at about the same time every night, about 2 to 3 hrs after he went to bed. I would talk to her doctor. Good luck!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Growing pains maybe? Not sure mama. If she has other things going on I would definitely ask for more testing.
Koltie6
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Night terrors or seizures maybe . Have you had a EEG ?
CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM
((Hugs)) mama. That's a lot for a little girl to go through. When my DS started screaming at night for hours inconsolible, he was 18-24 months, people said it was night terrors but I felt it was something else. When he started wheezing while running around I knew I was right and I told DH who didn't believe me to take him to the dr. He came back sheepish saying 'you we're right. It's asthma and if its waking him at night he nearly needs to be admitted to hospital' luckily it didn't come to that because I knew what to do having grown up with asthma myself :)
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM

With night terrors a child never becomes fully awake. With nightmares they wake up. Lina went thru a phase of night terrors that lasted for about 2.5 years, it wasn't fun. She would sit up or begin to thrash around screaming and crying all I could do was lay next to her pat her back and talk to her until she finally calmed down and back into a normal sleep. The headache thing makes me think of seizures. Lina has seizure disorder and after some of her milder seizures she would complain that her head hurt. The legs make me think of growing pains, both of the Twins had the pains in their legs and it would wake them during the night crying but they were about 5-7 yo when I had to deal with it. I know how scary the sudden screaming in the middle of the night can be. Lina caused my heart to stop on several occasions with those screams in the middle of the night. Like you already know contacting a doctor is the best thing. I also know how frustrating it is trying to get a doctor to listen to you. 

Big Hugs Momma! 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  •             R   &   A                Lina 
  •     teenage terror time!    special to all of us!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN