Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What's the funniest/wackiest thing a medical professional has said to you?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
For Elijah, we took him to vision clinic at Children's, and the head of the department tried to argue with me about whether REMOVING his left occipital lobe would definitely cause vision loss! ...then he tested his vision, and "explained" to me that he is, in fact, blind on the right side of each eye.... Duh.

I have two more that aren't mine:

One of my dear friends was in the PICU with her daughter, who likes to sleep with a big heavy blanket on her face. A nurse came in and started freaking out on my friend that her daughter was going to suffocate.... Her daughter has a tracheotomy and a ventilator. You could pinch her nose and tape her mouth, and she'd be just fine.

Another good friend's daughter has severe spastic, quadriplegic CP. the only muscles she can control are her eyes. She had a small surgery, and afterwards the doctor came in and told her that she was free to get up and walk around now. My friend responded, "it's a miracle!" Lol

Okay, spill! You ladies have to have some good ones!
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Once when the ER admitted my daughter for respitory distress/oxygen to get through a virus, the admitting nurse got so distracted by my daughter's developmental delays during the intake questions.  My then 2.5 year old daughter could not sit up on her own, walk, talk, or eat regular pediatric diet they would be ordering for her.  I told her I needed the infant diet, bottles instead of cups, etc and she kept explaining that for this age child she should be doing more things.  Duh. She kept writing reports that we needed to be addressing these things on a daily impatient basis.  Like they were going to teach her to eat, walk, talk, etc all in the 4 days she was there that therapy had not yet been able to.  She also kept giving her large pillows and blankets to sleep with when I told her she had abstructive sleep apnea and couldn't have any of that in her crib (oh, and it took me an hour to convince her I needed a crib for her safety and not a bed which is what they would give her for her age.)  She was just a nut.  It was a long 4 days, and I would not leave her side without another family memeber their to relieve me as the nurses just did not know how to take care of her and she has no communication or ability to care for herself.  It was crazy.

Another time, seperate hospital, my daughter was admitted for a sedation proceedure.  In recovery after the proceedure they said she was not coming out of it well as they kept calling her name and she would not respond to it - she's hearing impaired, it's all over her chart, and she was there for a sedated hearing test.  Hello.  I told them to turn up the light, and she opened her eyes in seconds. 

Monkiebut
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I know I have some ill just have to think for a bit
Monkiebut
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Oh so one is that we went in for surgery for his tonsils/ adenoids and to scope his throat cause he is speech delayed. We went to the ENT in the fist place cause of sleep apnea but since speech therapy was not working after 6+ months we decided to get the scope while he was out anyway. After surgery the ENT wrote a referral for speech cause he can't talk.... Duh!

My DD is 5 and has been developmentally delayed for years, it's in her charts all over the place. EVERY doctor (PCP, Neuro, therapist, ext) always asks if she is on the spectrum...... My response is ALWAYS "IDK, you tell me, your the doctor! That's WHY we are here for an evaluation!" Seriously?!? I can *think its autism but I can't DIAGNOSE it!
(BTW- she was just diagnosed with a working dx or PDD)

I've got more I'm sure!
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM
My personal favorite was last year when the dr told me my son didnt have autism, and that all we had to do is put him in public school instead of homeschool and he'll be fine. So, there's a public service announcement!! Public school cures autism!!

My second was when our family dr asked why all 3 of my kids have delays and are on the spectrum. How should I know?
letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

your child is not autistic because he can make some eye contact

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Other then an er not worried about Jacob vomiting after his fundo I don't think I've had any no sh*t Sherlock moments.
Krystal.Ingalls
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

When my son was 2 years old we took him to a children's hospital for an autism evaluation.  The doctor came in and asked about him.  So, I told her everything...not able to communicate, but can copy what someone says...rare eye contact, sensory issues, developmental delays, stimming, lining things up, stacking things etc.  So, she gets out 3 blocks and sets them in front of him and says, "Can you stack the blocks?"  Of course he did without any trouble, that's how he played by lining things up or stacking them.  She told me after that that he wasn't autistic...if he were he wouldn't have been able to stack blocks.  The only thing wrong with him was anxiety.  Anxiety...in a 2 year old?  I was so angry...we traveled 2 hours for this 10 minute appointment to be told he was just anxious.  >.<

busymommy2013
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Wacky/disturbing the nurse in labor and delivery fell in love with my baby(I will admit, she is the cutest sweetest thing). She told me that she was going to steal my baby, then added that she was just kidding... I didn't know whether to take it as a compliment, or be scared... so of course I couldn't sleep until we went home...
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Not funny, but definitely wacky. Upon finding out they suspected my son had Down syndrome, the lactation consultant (also a nurse) told me to give him Horse Steroids! He was 5 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs, not to mention the fact that he's a HUMAN!
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM

whhhaaaattttt?  Ok, so obviously no, you wouldn't give that to a HUMAN!  But just what did she think it was going to do for him?  Remove the DS features? 

Quoting jjamom:

Not funny, but definitely wacky. Upon finding out they suspected my son had Down syndrome, the lactation consultant (also a nurse) told me to give him Horse Steroids! He was 5 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs, not to mention the fact that he's a HUMAN!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)