Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Is It Your Instinct to Call 911 When Something Goes Wrong?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 19 Replies

On Thursday, my son had two consecutive grand mal seizures. The first ones since he has been on medication for them.

The ones prior to this one, while he was not medicated, have required emergency services because he wasn't getting enough oxygen to is brain as he continued to seize non stop.

On Thursday, when his seizure started, it was my instinct to call 911 and have him transported. Instead, I remained calm (or at least as calm as I could be), comforted him and watched the signs to see if he was in distress. After a while, his seizures stopped and he fell asleep. It took him a couple days to recover his strength and coordination. This was a first for us and definitely a bit frightening.

When your loved ones are in distress, feeling ill or having episodes, is it your instinct to call 911 or do calmer heads prevail?

Are you quick to rush to the ER or do you wait it out?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Chelle on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Big *hugs* we've rarely had episodes of anything scary enough to have the first instinct of calling 911. ER we only go to after calling the drs and they call the er ahead of time if we go. Otherwise we try to wait it out at home. However we call the drs a lot, that's our first instinct usually.
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM
We have only called 911 once - when I went into sudden and very fast progressing labor with my middle DS (4 weeks early).

The doctors office called 911 for my son once because he was in respiratory distress and they were being evacuated because of a chemical smell.

I usually am pretty conservative about it, but have rushed my kids to the ER a few times myself. Once for a febrile seizure, and a few times for pneumonia/respiratory distress.
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I would go to the ER a lot when Lij first started having seizures, but I soon made a rule that I would only call 911 if he didn't breath for 60 full seconds. He almost always started again at 45.
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM

For the medical issues we have, if my daughter gets into respiratory distress or would have another seizure we'd be off to the ER.  And if my son ate anything peanut/nut we'd be on the way too.  Most other things we can kind of take a wait and see approach first.

MunchiesMom324
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM
No, i tend to try to handle the situation myself, and of something is beyond my care i will call once i have done whatever i can.
mlogsdon
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I've never called 911 actually. Even when I'm terrified I try to handle it myself. I was given thorough instruction on how to handle most emergencies, and so far I've been lucky enough to not need anything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I almost never go to the ER and I've never called 911 even in a time when I really should have.
Marti123
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM
That has to be so stressful. I couldn't imagine.

I am the opposite. I end to under-react. It's the result of working in healthcare 20 years.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM
We haven't called 911 for Jacob. We take him to the er plenty though. Better safe then sorry with him.
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM

It was so hard to sit there with him and just try to keep him safe and comforted while I watched for signs of distress. I will tell you, that once he stopped seizing and had more control over his limbs, I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)