Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is driving me insane

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
He's not special needs although his dr and I r pretty sure he has ADHD.

He gets very aggressive and angry very easily! Over everything i can change the channel and he start yelling that he wants to watch something. And when he wants something like snack for instance he will not stop yelling until I get it usually what I do is tell him when he changes his attitude he can have snack. And there r times where his attitude doesn't change and he doesn't eat. And he's very demanding! He tells me "just do it mom" all the time! And he's very defiant! I have to tell him well over a dozen times to do something. And running in the house is the number one issue! I constantly tell him to stop running I've done time outs I've spanked I've yelled I've asked I've calmly said something I've done it all!

Don't know if I'm really looking for advice or if I'm just venting. But I can't wait for school to start I know he does really well with structure and strict schedules so he should do well in school. But he's driving me NUTS! I'm about to snap lol Sadie is an angel compared to him! And she's sn!

It feels good to let it out lol thanks for listening if u read it all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sadiebug1228
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM
If u have any advice it would be much appreciated :) discipline is hard cause nothing seems to work. The best I've found is have his step dad discipline him but even then it doesn't stop the behavior but he listens to him more I guess maybe cause he's intimidating and not mom lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM
No advice. *hugs*
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Yeah, school is awesome! Lol
One more month! We can DO it!
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I think with some kids traditional discipline doesn't work. It just doesn't affect them. You have to find his currency. What's his favorite things? What motivates him? Have you tried reward charts?
It takes some trial and error to find out what works. If he's really like this constantly and you're not giving in to him, I would have him evaluated for ADHD or odd. Just a thought.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM
How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM
No..he acts out with u cause ur safe and unconditional love.
I think perhaps a warning about what your going to do "im going to turn on the tv, what should we watch, lets see whats on". or a " i think this show is for older boys, i think we should change the channel".
I think if your sons not special needs, he seems to have a little trouble with change... With transitional times... That maybe he is a bit rigid in his thinking.. And that he may have some difficulty managing his frustration.

He talks snotty or direct because in his mind things are direct. Im thirsty= mom get me a drink. He doesn't see the problem.
Perhaps gently reminding ( and honestly, this took my son 6, almost 2 years of gentle reminding- " where i would say " would u like to try that again".. " mom get me a drink please". There are times i would hold his cup firmly when he was trying to take it saying " would u like to try that again..." Until he remembered thank you... Ugh!!!

My sons dr ( my son us hfa with aspie dx-- but has been referred to as "a bridge kid"-- on the bridge between nt and spectrum)
Recommended the explosive child book as a discipline to follow in getting my son to b a less rigid thinking, less easily frustrated, mor adaptable.

Quoting sadiebug1228:

If u have any advice it would be much appreciated :) discipline is hard cause nothing seems to work. The best I've found is have his step dad discipline him but even then it doesn't stop the behavior but he listens to him more I guess maybe cause he's intimidating and not mom lol

sadiebug1228
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Hell be 5 at the end of August. Sorry forgot to mention that
Quoting Bluecalm:

How old is he?

britmichele
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM
for running, I make him go back an walk.
And I ignore any orders unless I hear a please will you, or please may I. It is hard at that age tho
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Quoting sadiebug1228:

Hell be 5 at the end of August. Sorry forgot to mention that
Quoting Bluecalm:

How old is he?

Don't tell him something a dozen times, tell him once and take action. I also immediately tell my boys they have a choice-do what I'm asking or have a consequence. Like this morning they jumped on the couch. I told them their choice was no jumping on the couch or they would have to go sit on their beds for a time out. (New furniture and they know this is a big no no.)  Another jump and I told each to go sit in his bed. They refused and I said they had a choice, to walk quietly to their bed or I would put them there. I had to walk them there, they sat down. When they came out after a few minutes, no more jumping. I also use this with toys. My 6 year old brought his bike inside to ride in the hallway. I told him to put it outside and if I had to do it, the bike would go in time out.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Hugs mama!  I'm sorry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)