Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Low Muscle Tone

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM
  • 36 Replies

My name is Ashley, I'm 21 years old and I have a 15 month old daughter who has low muscle tone. She loves to play and really want's to move around. We do not know exactly what her condition is, only that she's very behind in her motor development. She's in Physical Therapy and is going to start doing Speech Therapy.

I hope there's someone else who can relate?

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group!
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

You did a good job starting her early on therapy. Have you had her evaluated for occupational therapy? I waited 11 years before I got him into physical therapy. It was the occupationa therapist that found his problem on his vestibular, no wonder he doesn't like yoga, climbing, swinging and etc...

golfqueen123
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My son had very low muscle tone but he has down syndrome, he works with an occupational therapist and has improved so much. he is 6 now, it just took him longer to do things! Good luck to you and your family, hope it is nothing serious!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

My daughter has low muscle tone, PT, OT, and speech therapies.  Her's is caused by her down syndrome.  She is delayed in all areas, but she gets to them when she's ready.  It's all on her own time.  I don't think she crawled until 2 or 3, just rolled everywhere.  She did not walk until her 4th birthday, and she is still mainly eating stage 3 baby food/bottles as the tone in her mouth is just too low/motor delays.  Good luck on her search for a diagnosis. I hope you find one soon, but glad you have the therapy started in the mean time.

mlogsdon
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Welcome! My son has low muscle tone. He's been in therapy since 6 months. As of right now, he's in speech, feeding, PT and OT. His "diagnosis" is global developmental delays because they don't really know what else is going on. But he also had laryngomalacia at birth, and has eosinophilic esophagitis.

My son just turned 2 on the 3rd and is working toward walking. He crawls super fast, and cruises furniture, and walks if we hold his hands. Working on unassisted :) he gets very frustrated, but we'll get there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group!
graycalico
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Welcome. My ds had the same. He could barely roll at close to a year. With therapy he's now walking all over, he's almost two. We saw a geneticist and they did a micro panel on him, he's missing a crumb off one of his chromosomes.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
My guy is low muscle tone as well. He still struggles to walk any distance; at almost 7 and 47 lbs its hard... Cant carry him!!! His feet and legs get so tired so easy. We do a lot of swimming to build muscle.
Eventually your little one may need ot. For her fine motor skills. Remember, its a chain reaction if her shoulders are weak, then fore arm is weaker-- going down the chain.
jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group! My son has Down syndrome and has low muscle tone as well. He has been in PT and OT since birth and in ST since about 2 1/2. He is still delayed in both gross and fine motor skills and in speech, but he continually makes progress. The therapy is worth it. :)
ATG499
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome! My four year old also has low muscle tone and he is delayed in his gross motor skills. He had to have physical therapy for a few months as a baby, occupational therapy as a toddler, and he is still going through speech therapy. Way to go on getting therapy started so early!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN