Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Would you give your toddler growth hormones

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 13 Replies
My dd has noonan syndrome and it causes very short stature. Her doctor said I could start her on growth hormone treatments if I want. I just don't know if the risk are worth her gaining a few extra inches. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graycalico
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I don't know much about it, but hormones are scary things to mess with. I'd really have to research it before I decided. :/
mlogsdon
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I don't know. I've never looked into it actually. It's a possibility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

If my son required it, yeah I probably would. I want him to have as much as a normal life as I can give him.

jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM
My son has Down Syndrome, which also results in short stature, but I have never had a doctor even mention growth hormones to me.
Jesann
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Idk, ive read a lot of people with noonan syndrome get hormone replacement. But he said its left upto the parent whether they won't to give it to them he said without on average she'd be 4 6 to 5 foot tall. I just don't know whether I should do ot or not.

Quoting jjamom:

My son has Down Syndrome, which also results in short stature, but I have never had a doctor even mention growth hormones to me.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My granddaughter with Prader-Willi is on growth hormones and for her it is working and she had only a couple of minor side-effects only for the first month then nothing after that. The hormone is working well and she is soon to be 7 and began to get them when she was 3. I don't know how much longer she'll be on them. I do know that both my son & dil did a lot research and talked to a couple of doctors before going ahead with the treatment. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Im 5 feet... Life is great! I dont think about being short at all.. Everyone thinks Im in my 30s (im in my 40s) short = young... I dated guys who were 6'4...to 5'6 and married 6'. I think it is ok for girls to be little.

Id ask about long term health effects. My son is little... (But a late bloomer) our endo did a bone scan (simple xray) and saw he has bone age a year delayed... So at almost 7 he is size of 5-6 year old. Im asking at next augusts appointment about growth hormones for him as I have heard they are necessary before puberty to be effective. I figure NEXT year there will be even more research done. 

Im pretty anti drug... But, i dont want him to be 5'4.. Tough to be a guy at 5'4. So Ill do what I need for him to hit 5'9-5'10. 

Quoting Jesann:

Idk, ive read a lot of people with noonan syndrome get hormone replacement. But he said its left upto the parent whether they won't to give it to them he said without on average she'd be 4 6 to 5 foot tall. I just don't know whether I should do ot or not.

Quoting jjamom:

DDDaysh
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM

That's a tough one.  I probably would though.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

We are in the process of deciding if we will do growth hormones for our son who is almost 5 years old.  He has a slew of diagnoses including Aarskog Syndrome which results in a short stature.  We are discussing it with his endocrinologist on whether we will do a year's trial of it or not...tough call mama!

jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Average adult height for people with DS is 4'9" for women and 5' for men. I have never heard anyone I know mention their child with DS getting growth hormones either. But we do have friends whose NT daughter was getting them.

My son will probably be on the shorter side of that because my family is pretty short and he is really tiny for his age already.

It is a very interesting question. If the Geneticist or endocrinologist recommended it for my son I would give it consideration. I may ask his endocrinologist about it when he see her next month, just out of curiosity.

Quoting Jesann:Idk, ive read a lot of people with noonan syndrome get hormone replacement. But he said its left upto the parent whether they won't to give it to them he said without on average she'd be 4 6 to 5 foot tall. I just don't know whether I should do ot or not.

Quoting jjamom:My son has Down Syndrome, which also results in short stature, but I have never had a doctor even mention growth hormones to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)