Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Should I get a secind opinion?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
I took my dd who is 15 months to the eye doctor per geneticist advice. The eye doctor said she extremely farsighted and wants to put her in glasses. I'm concerned that what if her eyes aren't as bad as she thinks . I've never seen her having problems seeing. And I read that a child's eyes don't form compelety until age nine. I'm scared to put her in glasses she doesn't need and ruining her eyes. Should I get a second opinion?
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
charley31
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I would get a second opinion. It can't hurt. You are your daughters advocate get the 2nd opinion. I've gotten a lot of second opinions sometimes 3rd opinions. I always told my husband just because the title dr is infringing of their name doesn't mean I can't ask questions or seek another opinion. Good luck to you!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Wouldn't hurt to get one...good luck!

jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Are eyeglasses or vision problems common with Noonan's? My son has Down syndrome and it is very common for our kids to have vision problems and require glasses from a very early age. I took my son recently and his vision is not perfect, but the ophthalmologist said he will need glasses in the future, but feels if doesnt them quite yet.

Did you take her to an ophthalmologist or an optometrist? It couldn't hurt to get a second opinion, but if you took her to an ophthalmologist, especially one recommended by the geneticist (and especially if vision problems are common in Noonan's patients) I would feel comfortable following the doctors advice, unless you had any reason not to trust the doctor's diagnosis.

As I mentioned, many kids with DS have glasses very early and it actually does wonders for them developmentally because they can see so much more! I don't recall ever hearing anything negative about having them. In fact, vision problems can also get worse over time if untreated.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Did you go to a pediatric ophthalmologist? A lot of younger kids require glasses, even if they don't show the classic symptoms. 

mlogsdon
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

My son is 2 and wears glasses. We just go back every 6 months to reevaluate the prescription. We were unsure about using glasses at such a young age, but its actually been great. Get a second opinion if you really feel uncomfortable, though.

crazy4chapstick
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM

couldn't hurt. trust your gut.

by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My daughter has been in glasses since 5 months old. She is 3 now. She had had 2 eye surgeries and goes for her third tomorrow. 

RobinChristine
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Second opinions cannot hurt ,my son started wearing glasses very young. It is not uncommon for our kids to need glasses sooner than the "typical" child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)