Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Advice Needed

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm new to the group. I'm not even sure if i belong in this group, but I didn't know where else to turn for answers.
My daughter is 3 1/2 years old. She's extremely stubborn. So, until now I've brushed some things off.
She's not talking full sentences like she should. I'm starting to notice sometimes she can't answer questions.
She uses one or two words at a time. If you ask her to go get a book or her clothes, she will. If you ask her which show she wants to watch. She looks like she's thinking and then she'll say "a show". Then she'll start getting upset. She does know the names of them because she will randomly ask for certain ones during the day. She does say a few phrases like "i can't see" and "i got you". She was actually talking early but it seems she hasn't progressed enough. We do flash cards with her, read to her and talk to her a lot. She knows her numbers and letters by sight but not the order. We had to push her some because she was calling everything "this" & "that" when trying to talk. Now when she's telling us something we might we one or two real words and everything else is still "this & that". She doesn't name her stuffed animals or tell stories.
Should I give it more time or should I be taking action?

She's always been above average on the physical skills. She's been potty trained for about a year with the occasional accidents (still struggeling with nights though). She's very happy & laughs a lot. I know she's a very smart girl. I know she understands a lot of things......but there is still so much she doesn't understand. Halloween is coming up again and she still doesn't understand picking out a costume to wear.

I took her to her pedi. when she was 2 because her anxiety was real bad. He brushed me off. Said she'd probably grow out of it but gave me a number to a therapist. Everywhere I called they said they wouldn't see her until she was 3. I didn't pursue anymore because she still isn't talking enough. Some of her anxieties are better but not all. I still can't leave her with any family or sitters. She only stays with me or SO. She has gotten better about wanting to play with other kids (and even asks to go play) but still has to "warm up" to them. I take her to stores, the zoo, the park and the library. So, she's gotten better about not being as freaked out by strangers but still shys away if they talk to her and gets upset if they touch her. She doesn't even like family members to talk to her or touch her. She gets uncomfortable if they stare. I was VERY shy as a kid and didn't talk to some family members but don't think i was quite this bad.

Not sure if i'm just worrying over nothing or if my child truly needs help.

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I would recommend getting a referral to a developmental pediatrician that can assess her current development, delays, her anxiety, your concerns.  They are much more informed than a regular pediatrician.

Welcome to the group. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome , im joy ,

have you had her evaluatyed by the school district you live in ?if not call the dist. office and request for evals to be done-she dont have to be in scool already for them to eval her

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group. You need to get her seen by a developmentalist and get her evaluated. That will also allow you to get any interventions going that might be needed. 

Good Luck Momma!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  These ladies have the right advice:)  

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome!!! These ladies are right. One extra price of advise find another doctor. If they brush off your what you feel, the don't see the big picture. I listen to my old doctor for two years. I kept telling him there is something wrong with my son. He never did a lead test, or even listen to me. My son has lead poisioning autism spectrum disoder, ocd, adhd, and sp. The sensory processing disoder should have been a no brainer for him.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!

crazy4chapstick
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Thanks so much ladies!! I knew I could get real help here.
I'm tired of people just saying oh she's probably autistic..when they have no clue what the signs of autism are.
That seems to be where the dr. was going with things too....cause the first thing he asked me was does she flail her arms around...when I said no...he then moved onto she'll grow out of things.
I didn't even know there was a developmental pediatrician or that i could get her tested without being in school.
I will be making some calls in the morning to try and get something going.
After doing some reading on here & other websites last night I found myself having a little more patience & understanding.
Even just reading some of the other posts were helpful. I feel so stressed out all the time. I pretty much deal with everything on my own other than the 2 days a week I get to go to work (that's my me time lol).

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Your welcome!!!
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Do I need a referral to get into a development pediatrician?
I couldn't get anyone to return my calls today. I got nowhere.
Going to call again tomorrow. School starts on the 26th here. So, I think they are all swamped at the moment.
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Nevermind, I did get a call back from the developmental Dr and got the info I needed. They are mailing me a packet to fill out.
They said it could be up to a 2 month waiting period though.

Thanks so much for all the help, support and advice!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN