Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

My son will start "Hippotherapy" and "Vision Therapy" soon.

Posted by   + Show Post

Any positive or negative feedbacks are appreciated.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I will : )

Quoting Basherte:

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes for you both.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Thank you

Quoting Basherte:

Good luck. I have no experience with either.

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids do hippotherapy and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!  

Koltie6
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
My son's neurologist suggested hippotherapy. However our insurance would not pay. It is expensive so we bought a pony. It has been amazing for my son. He rides bareback, leads her around and even feeds her hisself. He also talks to her and seems so happy when on her back.
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

That is good to hear. I am a little scared because he's never been close to a real horse before. We live in Alaska. I was surprised when the therapist suggested to get him into hippotherapy. Thank you for sharing...I hope that my son will have a positive experience also.

Quoting Koltie6:

My son's neurologist suggested hippotherapy. However our insurance would not pay. It is expensive so we bought a pony. It has been amazing for my son. He rides bareback, leads her around and even feeds her hisself. He also talks to her and seems so happy when on her back.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Aw... I hope my son will love it too!

Quoting trio8707:

My kids do hippotherapy and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!  

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I've read great things from other moms about hippo therapy.

If my insurance covered it, I would do it.

Bonzlee
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has not done hippotherapy, but it sounds interesting. He does have sensory issues, but not bad enough to be diagnosed SPD.

He is right now doing vision therapy. We are seeing slow improvements. He's got MTBI and he has severe ocular motor dysfunction, and there is really no other solution except for vision therapy. He's been doing it for 2 months and he is reading more now. They think he'll need 8 months total before we see full results.

I did read this great book that offers information about vision therapy: How Behavioral Optometry Can Unlock Your Child's Potential. I wasn't sure if we should do it, but after reading the book I realized it impacts way more than the eyes when the vision is off. On another site I belong to the author answered a bunch of questions about VT: http://helpingeverychildtoread.com/index.php/community/live-q-a-with-dr-joel-the-misdiagnosed-impossible-child 

The eyes have a lot more to do than just seeing. Apparently they play a big part of realizing where the body is in space, so kids who have proprioceptive issues often see positive results from VT.

PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Have no clue what Hippotherapy is but my daughter had vision therapy to help her strabismus.  She fell and hit her nose on our window seat when she was 3 and shortly afterwards, we noticed her eyes not tracking properly. We opted against surgery and did vision therapy instead.  It took a while for her eye muscles to heal but slowly they did.  She continued the vision therapy thru 1st grade.  She regained stereoptic vision and her eyes track beautifully.  The only time they turn is when she is really tired and then ever so slightly and briefly.  

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Thanks for sharing. I am glad that it really does work for some. I am really looking forward to this vision therapy. I felt like, if I don't try..I might regret later.
Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Have no clue what Hippotherapy is but my daughter had vision therapy to help her strabismus.  She fell and hit her nose on our window seat when she was 3 and shortly afterwards, we noticed her eyes not tracking properly. We opted against surgery and did vision therapy instead.  It took a while for her eye muscles to heal but slowly they did.  She continued the vision therapy thru 1st grade.  She regained stereoptic vision and her eyes track beautifully.  The only time they turn is when she is really tired and then ever so slightly and briefly.  

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I, too is looking for a positive result. I know it won't hurt to try but it's good to know that it helped others. I have mixed emotions right now. I will definitely check the link. Actually, I've been browsing the net for more information about the vision therapy. Again, thanks

Quoting Bonzlee:

My son has not done hippotherapy, but it sounds interesting. He does have sensory issues, but not bad enough to be diagnosed SPD.

He is right now doing vision therapy. We are seeing slow improvements. He's got MTBI and he has severe ocular motor dysfunction, and there is really no other solution except for vision therapy. He's been doing it for 2 months and he is reading more now. They think he'll need 8 months total before we see full results.

I did read this great book that offers information about vision therapy: How Behavioral Optometry Can Unlock Your Child's Potential. I wasn't sure if we should do it, but after reading the book I realized it impacts way more than the eyes when the vision is off. On another site I belong to the author answered a bunch of questions about VT: http://helpingeverychildtoread.com/index.php/community/live-q-a-with-dr-joel-the-misdiagnosed-impossible-child 

The eyes have a lot more to do than just seeing. Apparently they play a big part of realizing where the body is in space, so kids who have proprioceptive issues often see positive results from VT.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)