Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Special diets and behavior issues in kids, do you use one?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM
  • 18 Replies

Ok so I am thinking of trying a special diet for dd and her adhd, odd, aspergers (although Dr thinks its the wrong diagnosis now) so we are re-grouping and doing some more testing in November after we get some teacher fedback from her new school.

So I AM JUST CURIOUS, IF YOU USE ONE. What does your child eat, what has made it easier on them to make the switch, did you always do the special diet?

Any good sites you can direct me towards? DD is 11 btw, and I have a feeling it may be difficult to get her on board with this. lol

Also I kinda heard of the 6 week diet plan, where every week you cut out something new till its all gone. Have you done this? How long till you saw any improvements?

Did you try it and it made no difference, or were your childs behaviors slowly start to be more managable once you started?

Any advice and samples of what your kids eat would be very helpful. Thanks.

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

BUMP!

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM
What about the Fiengold diet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I don't have any experience with this. Good luck though!

Jenn8604
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM
GL! I say if your child is not a picky eater and will switch foods easy there's nothing wrong w trying a new diet. It may help it may not.
I won't do any diets. I have a hard enough time trying to get him to eat at all. The last thing i need is to stick him on a diet that means I eliminate all foods he eats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Nope. Never done anything like this before.  Good luck though!

bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

She is far from picky. She will eat anything as long as her food does not touch other food on her plate, she is good. lol

Quoting Jenn8604:

GL! I say if your child is not a picky eater and will switch foods easy there's nothing wrong w trying a new diet. It may help it may not.
I won't do any diets. I have a hard enough time trying to get him to eat at all. The last thing i need is to stick him on a diet that means I eliminate all foods he eats.

Jenn8604
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I say go for a diet then. If it doesn't do anything try another one. it cannot hurt.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

She is far from picky. She will eat anything as long as her food does not touch other food on her plate, she is good. lol

Quoting Jenn8604:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Thats what I was thinking.

I am reading a book right now on special diets for kids on the aurism spectrum and other delays and behavioral issues and how it helps most kids. My dd is un-medicated and I want to keep it that way. But I am thinking it wont hurt to try the no artifical colors and preservatives, No processed milk and milk products, no whaet products that are NOT whole grains in breads and cereals, No sugar, no oranges and grapefruits, no eggs or MSg's, hydrgentaed oils no caffine and salts.

These seem to be what triggers a lot of the bahviors. But can be given in small dosages of a certain number of a daily recommended balanced diet (for eggs, sugar, salt and milk products) th eothers to cut out completely.

I am doing a lot of research on it first. A friend of mines son was put on it, and I saw the difference it made on him just in a few weeks, they allow some stuff on weekends but in the school week it is restricted right out. They kept with it for several months before letting some stuff on weekends, and I was impressed with their results. lol

Quoting Jenn8604:

I say go for a diet then. If it doesn't do anything try another one. it cannot hurt.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Quoting Jenn8604:

lonelymommyof2
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Do you do this? I looked at it but we dont have the $90 for the info right now

Quoting Bluecalm:

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM
What's the $90 for? I did it with my son who is now an adult and just followed the book. I'm sure you can find enough info online now. Taking him off red food dyes did help but I ended up putting him on meds.

Quoting lonelymommyof2:

Do you do this? I looked at it but we dont have the $90 for the info right now

Quoting Bluecalm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN