Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Special diets and behavior issues in kids, do you use one?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so I am thinking of trying a special diet for dd and her adhd, odd, aspergers (although Dr thinks its the wrong diagnosis now) so we are re-grouping and doing some more testing in November after we get some teacher fedback from her new school.

So I AM JUST CURIOUS, IF YOU USE ONE. What does your child eat, what has made it easier on them to make the switch, did you always do the special diet?

Any good sites you can direct me towards? DD is 11 btw, and I have a feeling it may be difficult to get her on board with this. lol

Also I kinda heard of the 6 week diet plan, where every week you cut out something new till its all gone. Have you done this? How long till you saw any improvements?

Did you try it and it made no difference, or were your childs behaviors slowly start to be more managable once you started?

Any advice and samples of what your kids eat would be very helpful. Thanks.

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Replies (11-18):
lonelymommyof2
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM

you have to order all the informatin and it cost $90 :( we just dont have that right now 3 of the kids started school and clothes and supplies whipped us 

Quoting Bluecalm:

What's the $90 for? I did it with my son who is now an adult and just followed the book. I'm sure you can find enough info online now. Taking him off red food dyes did help but I ended up putting him on meds.

Quoting lonelymommyof2:

Do you do this? I looked at it but we dont have the $90 for the info right now

Quoting Bluecalm:

What about the Fiengold diet?

Monkiebut
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM
We are gluten, dye, HFCS and additive free. I have seen a noticeable difference in my dd (PDD-nos, anxiety & DBD). We started mid June
Monkiebut
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I just read books at the library on gluten free living & kids GF diets. It was/ is super easy to change. And less expensive for us (we don't replace with high prices GF breads,ext). We also have a organic garden.
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Just google Fiengold and you'll find tons of info like menus ans shopping lists.

Quoting lonelymommyof2:

you have to order all the informatin and it cost $90 :( we just dont have that right now 3 of the kids started school and clothes and supplies whipped us 

Quoting Bluecalm:

What's the $90 for? I did it with my son who is now an adult and just followed the book. I'm sure you can find enough info online now. Taking him off red food dyes did help but I ended up putting him on meds.

Quoting lonelymommyof2:

Do you do this? I looked at it but we dont have the $90 for the info right now

Quoting Bluecalm:

What about the Fiengold diet?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lonelymommyof2
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

i have been but i cant find the whole list 

Upandgogal
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 4 and has been on gluten free casein free diet for a year. He sleeps better & seems calmer. He also use to wake up screaming inconsolable for 30min - hour. The food is more expensive but definite improvement. We also limit sweets & water down juice. Plan to have organic garden. Avoid artificial everything. He takes a vitamin & probiotic. Good luck. Hope this helps. U can find lots of recipes on pinterest too
xanadu96
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Quoting Monkiebut:

We are gluten, dye, HFCS and additive free. I have seen a noticeable difference in my dd (PDD-nos, anxiety & DBD). We started mid June

How old is your dd and what kind of differences have you seen? My ds is 9 and can be very hateful and and violent and I hate all the meds he has to take. :-(
Monkiebut
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM
She is 5.5. She was very violent and all over the place emotionally. She still has outbursts but its maybe one a day and not all day every day.

Quoting xanadu96:

Quoting Monkiebut:

How old is your dd and what kind of differences have you seen? My ds is 9 and can be very hateful and and violent and I hate all the meds he has to take. :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN