Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

HELP!!! My 18yr old mildly challenged daughter has NO friends nor social outlet

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am beyond frustrated! I have an 18yr old daughter who has no friends.  She does everything with family.  She wants to befriend regular education students who don't want anything to do with her.  To look at her, you wouldn't know that she had some mental challenges.  She doesn't see herself as having some challenges but yet she can recognize that she can't do what the other students can do.  Its very hard on the family because we don't get a break.  She's very immature (largely due to her disability) and often times seems to prefer befriending younger teens 13-16yrs old.  It causes a strain on my personal relationships.  Other people don't have the patience to deal with her annoying habits and conversation. Some say that I make excuses for her. I don't make excuses for her I just understand her challenges.  I must have patience with her, other people, patience is optional.  Are there any of you out there with suggestions or live in the Texas area that have any suggestions?

Mosunshine3

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

My son is on the autism spectrum and has some of these same challenges, especially the social ones.  He is 12 but often relates to kids 1-2 years younger than himself.

Perhaps you can find some classes or therapy groups that would help your daughter learn how to make friends closer to her own age or meet other young people who have similar disabilities that she can relate with.

cnsmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry that i can't offer any sugestions.  I am kind of dealing with the same things.  My son just turned 19, he has autism, and he just graduated high school.  He is with us 24 -7.  He had friends "at school", but none of them ever asked him to go anywhere with them, or no one has ever called him.  He was well known and well liked at school though.  He would rather play with an 8 or 10 yr old rather than someone his own age, because the younger ones still like to play with their cars, and models and draw, that is more his level.

He has a 15 yr old sister, and notices that she has friends, and does things with friends.  He is beginning to ask why he doesn't have friends to do things with too.  It breaks my heart, even more, now that he notices this to.

Hugs to you.  I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone.  I hope that someone does have some suggestions for you though. 

lonelymommyof2
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

big brother big sister program? explain the situation maybe it will help

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Our parks and recreation department has a SN group that does activities. Maybe you can find something like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinChristine
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

What about calling  the big universities and seeing if there is a special ed teacher ready to graduate who needs some field work,maybe they would allow  one on one time with your DD to qualify. Also social work,psychology,any thing along those lines.

Also what about nonverbal activities such as dance class? She would be amoung her peers but not need to talk as much.

I do not know much about Girl Scouts but in  Boy Scouts to be an eagle Scout(the highest honor)   maybe they could help. I am not saying your DD is a community resource for hours but once you get a door open maybe they will have other ideas.

mlogsdon
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Well.... My sister was a "hired companion" for a teenager in Massachusetts. Basically, her job was to hang out with this girl, go shopping, socialize, be her friend etc. otherwise, you really can't make kids want to be her friend :(

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama!

Mosunshine3
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Keep your replies coming! I soooo appreciate the suggestions and feedback!
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Good for you for being patient with her.

To me it sounds like she needs activities where she can feel that she contributes and that she genuinely does and where she has supportive people around her. I know, easier said than done. Maybe a hospital candy worker? They are volunteers in the hospital and help around with the nurses and staff. The nurses there might be more understanding. Maybe in a special needs facility she can volunteer.

Hugs mom. I hope you find something. Keep us posted :)

dallascowboys82
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM
What about like a adult day care?
My friends son attends adult day care.
It's almost like school where they also learn to be more independent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)