Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Support for Parents of ADD/ADHD/ODD Kids

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 2 Replies

I think I am in the right place but not sure if I should post here. The program we use for our son (5) playattention.com has started a free question or should I say chat session where you can pose your question and they answer it for free. I asked them why they called it Sheer Genius and they said it was named after Einstein who had ADHD and was a genius. This is lengthly but will help me as I hope it helps others! Cheers!

Dear Sheer Genius,

Thank you for all of the back to school tips so far. Our biggest challenge is homework! We spend hours on homework every night with my daughter. This is so frustrating for the entire family and really makes our evenings miserable. She just doesn't seem to be able to get anything done without me or my husband standing over her and constantly redirecting her. Do you have any suggestions on how to make homework time more successful and less time consuming?

Thank you.
Norah, Mother wanting to reclaim her nights

Dear Norah,

Thank you for your question.  I know homework time is a huge challenge for a lot of families. The biggest frustration I hear is that the child is bright and CAN do the work, it's just the process that is difficult.  They cannot seem to start the homework in a timely manner and stay on task until completion.  This often results in 15 minutes of homework taking 2 hours and a fight! 

You can definitely take some steps to help with this process and reclaim your nights!

First of all, if you are a current Play Attention client, I recommend that you use my Academic Bridge game during homework.  Academic Bridge will allow you and your daughter to monitor her attention during her homework. I will give her constant feedback as to when she is paying attention and when she is not.  You will no longer have to redirect her. That is my job now! This game will actually teach your daughter how to start and complete her homework with full attention and in a timely manner. You may view more on this game here...

I would also recommend that you set up a special Homework Center:

Do you send your child to her room to do homework?  Is the room so full of distractions that it is impossible for her to stay on task?  Is your child constantly wasting time before homework because she cannot find the materials she needs?  

Your solution: Create a special homework center with your child and eliminate the distractions and wasted time.  The more you get your child involved in this process the more special the area becomes to your child!  

1.  Find an area that is conducive to doing homework.  It should not be in the center of the home where there are lots of visual and auditory distractions.  To get your child involved in the decision making process pick out 3 areas and let her choose which area she would like the best.

2. Make a list.  Sit down with your child and make a list of all of the items needed in the homework center.  Items may include pens, pencils, lined paper, an in-box for homework assignments, an out-box for completed assignments, calculator, bookshelf, scissors, trashcan etc.  If you plan wisely there should be no more, "but mom I can't find...".

3. Make certain you have a clean workspace with a comfortable chair.  You may choose to include a bean bag so she can be nice and comfy when reading.  You may want to include a chair for yourself so you will have a spot when reviewing the homework.

4. Have a timer.  Timers are a great way to teach time management.  Include a timer in the homework area so you can set up time limits for different assignments. 

5. Post a bulletin board so you can post good grades, personal goals, or a reward board.  

Taking the time now to create a special homework center with your child can save you a lot of time and energy in the end.  And it may just make homework time a little more enjoyable!

With all my support and attention,
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Thanks for sharing:)

letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM

thanks for sharing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN