Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Moving

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
  • 10 Replies
Have you had to move with your LOs? How do you handle it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM

i havent

mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Several times. We are serial movers. We just pack it all up and go. We haven't moved since Jacob got all his equipment though. 

PEEK05
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, a couple times.  I didn't do anything special to handle it.  I just had a lot of help. :)

mlogsdon
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM
The last time we moved he was 4 months old with a trach. He slept most of the time, and we stayed in hotels every night. It was a full 7 days of driving lol. I'm assuming that he won't be that tolerant this time around ;-) he will be 2.5
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM

We moved about a year ago, but only 1 mile away.  None of the long travel, hotel stays you had to deal with.  Our biggest thing was keeping my son with autism on his schedule so he would not overload.  And we painted his new room the exact same color/same bedding/window treatments, etc as his brother's room in the old house that was becoming his and he loved.  It was painted the night before we moved in and set up before he got there so his space was ready upon his arrival.  It is like his safe/comfort space and needs consistency.  He had zero problems, even going from sharing a room with his 2 triplet sisters to a room all his own.  I was amazed! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:11 AM
1 mom liked this

We have moved, but only about 15-20 minutes away.  Brady did fairly well as I had his room and playroom all setup prior to moving day so that he would have something familiar around when we got to the new house.  Hugs and good luck!

mlogsdon
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I've moved many many times myself, but never with an active toddler ;-) thankfully he won't have any extra equipment this time! It's just another loooong trip lol

Quoting mandee1503:

Several times. We are serial movers. We just pack it all up and go. We haven't moved since Jacob got all his equipment though. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM
That's great! Structure will be hard with this one, we are taking the opportunity to visit a bunch of people along the way, but each visit will give us a few days out of the car. Once we arrive and get settled its going to take time to get everything back on track.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

We moved about a year ago, but only 1 mile away.  None of the long travel, hotel stays you had to deal with.  Our biggest thing was keeping my son with autism on his schedule so he would not overload.  And we painted his new room the exact same color/same bedding/window treatments, etc as his brother's room in the old house that was becoming his and he loved.  It was painted the night before we moved in and set up before he got there so his space was ready upon his arrival.  It is like his safe/comfort space and needs consistency.  He had zero problems, even going from sharing a room with his 2 triplet sisters to a room all his own.  I was amazed! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Thanks! I wish I could have everything ready for us when we get there ;-)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

We have moved, but only about 15-20 minutes away.  Brady did fairly well as I had his room and playroom all setup prior to moving day so that he would have something familiar around when we got to the new house.  Hugs and good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Well that is neat you are kind of making it into a little vacation with adventures along the way.  That should be fin.  I hope everything goes well!

Quoting mlogsdon:

That's great! Structure will be hard with this one, we are taking the opportunity to visit a bunch of people along the way, but each visit will give us a few days out of the car. Once we arrive and get settled its going to take time to get everything back on track.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)