Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Since we have a lot of new moms

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 92 Replies
When did you realize something was wrong with your sn lo? What age were they that you got an official dx?
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I started having suspicions right at a year that my son had developmental delays.  Our pediatrician said to just give him more time because #1) he is a boy & #2) he has an older sibling.  I regret waiting a year to get evaluated.  He has developmental delays in several areas.  The first session went soooo great and I thought he would catch up in no time.  He hasn't made progress since that first one unfortunately, but we're still new in this.  He will be 2 1/2 in November.

britmichele
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM
we knew prenatally. Found out at 26 weeks, delivered at 33 weeks
Mommy2justone
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Our little one is a foster child, so we were told before we picked him up from the hospital. I was told he wasn't diagnosed with his TEF till after birth, and then had surgery a few days later. 
But the other stuff came later.  

Mipsy
by Chelle on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Well Ty was premature but we knew more was going on outside of just being a preemie during his second week of life. He's now 5 and we are still working on his official unifying diagnosis but he has several others that I do know the ages of when they were all dx lol!
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM
It's funny one day there doesn't seem to be any changes then a week later bam all kinds of new things!

Quoting PEEK05:

I started having suspicions right at a year that my son had developmental delays.  Our pediatrician said to just give him more time because #1) he is a boy & #2) he has an older sibling.  I regret waiting a year to get evaluated.  He has developmental delays in several areas.  The first session went soooo great and I thought he would catch up in no time.  He hasn't made progress since that first one unfortunately, but we're still new in this.  He will be 2 1/2 in November.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM
It's kinda nice to know ahead, you are able to prepare a bit.

Quoting britmichele:

we knew prenatally. Found out at 26 weeks, delivered at 33 weeks
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Was it hard to know that going into the adoption?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Our little one is a foster child, so we were told before we picked him up from the hospital. I was told he wasn't diagnosed with his TEF till after birth, and then had surgery a few days later. 

mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Are they any closer to giving you an official dx?

Quoting Mipsy:

Well Ty was premature but we knew more was going on outside of just being a preemie during his second week of life. He's now 5 and we are still working on his official unifying diagnosis but he has several others that I do know the ages of when they were all dx lol!
Mommy2justone
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM
We haven't adopted him. They are working toward reunification.

Quoting mandee1503:

Was it hard to know that going into the adoption?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Mipsy
by Chelle on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Well his drs all fully believe he has a mitochondrial disease and treat him as such and refer to him as a mito patient. However its not been labeled "official". But he was just accepted into a research for mito specifically with TGen. They will be running whole genome sequencing on him

Quoting mandee1503:

Are they any closer to giving you an official dx?

Quoting Mipsy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN