Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here...ssi and other questions

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello, 

I am new here and I am wandering if I could get some feedback from others about the ssi situation. My 8 almost 9 year old son has severe ADHD, ODD, SPD and has had a positive Autism screening but no official diagnosis yet. I applied for SSI over a year ago. We have been denied at the initial application and at the reconsideration appeal. We just had our hearing on Monday with the ALJ. 

They requested that I bring my son with me and I did. They took him into the court room without me but my lawyer was with him. My lawyer said he almost flipped a chair over and she had to hold it still, he was unable to successfully tie his shoe at her request and this is due to the low muscle tone in his hands. He also randomly said poopie during the hearing into the mic and told the court reporter that she was a poopie mcpoopiekins. I am embarassed by this behavior but the fact is....this is not even the tip of the iceburg with him.

After they let my son go the judge told my lawyer to go with him even though it was a short distance from the court room to the waiting room where I was. I was only in the court room for 20 maybe 30 minutes before the judge concluded her questioning and told us that since she has all of his records and letters from school and daycare she will not need any more evidence and she would be closing the case and issuing a desision in a week to 10 days. Based on this if you have been through a hearing do you think that things look to be in my favor or no? 

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Wow. I've never been through that, but sounds like it went as well as it could for you to get ssi
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I've never had to go into court and be evaluated that way, so I'm not sure.  Good luck, hope it works out!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I'm not sure. But good luck.
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM
His medical records are not enough proof? IEP is one document they request. My son was disqualified due to the household income. But the ss representative that I talked to informed me to re-apply when he turns 18.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Wow mama. I think it sounds like it went in your favor. There are some times we need our kids to act up. I remember when my oldest was 3, before he was diagnosed as autistic, and he called us stinky face doodoo head lol
We're on our second ssi application ourselves, this time for all 3. I made the mistake if giving up after our third denial last time.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Good luck mama!

graycalico
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM
We didn't need a hearing, but it seems like it could go your way.
letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM

who knows , i wish you guys the best , keep us posted

mammajen030407
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Thank you everyone for your support. Unfortunately his med records were not enough I guess. Nor was his IEP nor was all of the other stuff I submitted. That is why I took this to hearing because there is no reason he should have ever been denied to begin with. He has been on meds since 5 and has to be on meds 24/7 to function. I am praying for answers by the end of next week hopefully. How long did it take you guys to get anything after you were approved? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)