Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

New here :) potty training advice needed!

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. I have a 4 year old son with fragile x syndrome. He was diagnosed a little over two years ago. I wanted to write and see if anyone here had some really good tips/tricks for potty training. B is very quickly outgrowing size 6 diapers, and I REALLY don't want to have to special order larger ones... And have no idea how I'd do that anyway. What I really want is for him to start potty training. We took about a month off of his therapies to give potty training a try this summer. He did end up peeing on the potty a total of 5 times, however it was only when we took one of the portable potty chairs and put it at his seat at the table, and he peed while eating. He doesn't seem to care much when his diaper is full (pee or poo). I'm not sure what to do. I know its not something that'll happen over night, but I want to at least be starting to make some progress. He has a younger sister who will be 2 next month, she is completely unaffected and typically developing, and is starting to show signs of being ready to start potty training. One of the big things about kids with fragile x is that they learn well by mimicking, maybe when she starts it'll happen for him too, but I'd really like to start trying now. Any advice/tips/tricks are welcomed and extremely appreciated! Thanks!!

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mammajen030407
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

The only advice I can offer after training 3 of my own is that they will do it when they are ready. DS has only been out of pull ups at night for a couple of months now. 

LeslieS3
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Thanks. I don't think he's "ready" because he really doesn't care, but I think he'd be able to do it. It's just so frustrating. I'll be changing a poopy diaper and he'll say "go poop on the potty". He will also barge in on anyone in the bathroom and congratulate them for doing a good job going on the potty. I'm so frustrated, I'm hoping it'll just click for him one day and he'll just start going. He's able to undress, he takes off his clothes and diaper, and he's tall enough to get on the toilet by himself.

Quoting mammajen030407:

The only advice I can offer after training 3 of my own is that they will do it when they are ready. DS has only been out of pull ups at night for a couple of months now. 

mammajen030407
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM

That is exactly how it worked for us. My oldest DD just did it at 3.5. I tried before that but she just did not "get it" and then the same with my son as far as daytime training. He did it on his own but then when I had his little siter he regressed back into diapers for a while but ended up training just before 4. My youngest did it at 2.5 but I knew she was ready and just needed a little encouragement. I bought some m&m's and put them in a clear container and some new panties and it was done. She did not pee in her pants any more after that. It did take her another 3 years to night train though. 

Quoting LeslieS3:

Thanks. I don't think he's "ready" because he really doesn't care, but I think he'd be able to do it. It's just so frustrating. I'll be changing a poopy diaper and he'll say "go poop on the potty". He will also barge in on anyone in the bathroom and congratulate them for doing a good job going on the potty. I'm so frustrated, I'm hoping it'll just click for him one day and he'll just start going. He's able to undress, he takes off his clothes and diaper, and he's tall enough to get on the toilet by himself.

Quoting mammajen030407:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:53 AM
My youngest turned 3 back in April and is nowhere near potty training. His first day of preschool he peed once in the potty and that's it. I've tried 2 or 3 times and have finally given up for a while. He doesn't recognize when he needs to go yet so there's really not much I can do.
A trick that worked with my other 2 is letting them go without a diaper and pants and see if they catch on. It can be messy, so keep cleaner and a mop handy and be prepared to shampoo carpets when you're done lol. But it helped my other 2 to connect the feeling to the action.
Good luck mama. I know how frustrating it can be. As for larger diapers, if y'all are on Medicaid, contact them. Or you should be able to order thru your local hospital :)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Hugs mama!  It sounds like he's not ready yet.  My son is 5 and nonverbal but if I put him on the potty he will go.  Somehow he seems to know what to do.  It's amazing!

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Does he have the sensations?  I don't know much about fragile X, but if he can't tell when he needs to go you're basically asking for something that's impossible.  

LeslieS3
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM
That worked for my oldest too, leaving him naked. I've tried it, but I honestly didn't stick with it for more than a few days because I got frustrated that he would get off the potty and then go pee in a corner. *Sigh*
Quoting arkansasmama08:

My youngest turned 3 back in April and is nowhere near potty training. His first day of preschool he peed once in the potty and that's it. I've tried 2 or 3 times and have finally given up for a while. He doesn't recognize when he needs to go yet so there's really not much I can do.
A trick that worked with my other 2 is letting them go without a diaper and pants and see if they catch on. It can be messy, so keep cleaner and a mop handy and be prepared to shampoo carpets when you're done lol. But it helped my other 2 to connect the feeling to the action.
Good luck mama. I know how frustrating it can be. As for larger diapers, if y'all are on Medicaid, contact them. Or you should be able to order thru your local hospital :)
LeslieS3
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I really don't know, he knows when something like a towel is wet or dry, he knows once he's pooped (ill smell it and say "are you poopy?" And he'll say yes and walk with me to get changed. And then will say "poop on the potty" as I'm changing him.) I feel like he is aware enough, but maybe I'm interpreting those things because I'M so ready for him to be ready. :(

Quoting DDDaysh:

Does he have the sensations?  I don't know much about fragile X, but if he can't tell when he needs to go you're basically asking for something that's impossible.  

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
He's probably not ready. My 3 year old knows those same things but isn't ready yet.

Quoting LeslieS3:

I really don't know, he knows when something like a towel is wet or dry, he knows once he's pooped (ill smell it and say "are you poopy?" And he'll say yes and walk with me to get changed. And then will say "poop on the potty" as I'm changing him.) I feel like he is aware enough, but maybe I'm interpreting those things because I'M so ready for him to be ready. :(

Quoting DDDaysh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karenl
by Karen on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Hi I have a 6 year old who refuses to use he toilet. He would stay in a dirty diaper all day if id let him! I wish I had advice!! Can you tell me more about fragile X syndrome if you don't mind? My son was tested for that, it was negative but I wonder if there was a mistake. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)