Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Mood disorder?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone have any experience with mood disorders? I'm having some issues with my 6 year old. He was diagnosed with OCD, developmental delays, has ODD tendencies. Hes not on any meds...I don't know what to do sometimes. He's in ABA therapy in school, should I talk to the schools psychologist? Anyhow, thanks for listening!!

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gummibr
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Hi Karen.  My five year old is bipolar so yes, we have experience in this area.  Before the official diagnosis, we heard ODD and ADHD but found these behaviors were really manifestations of the bipolar and he didn't have these issues by themselves.  I would chart his behavior and see if there are any triggers.  My son can be triggered by the word no but sometimes there are no triggers for his moods.  He can go from happy, to depressed, to impulsive to giddy within the span of 10-15 minutes..  What are the flucuations in his mood like?  What is making you think its a mood disorder rather than the other diagnosis.  Definitely talk to the psychologist and if still concerned, try to get a referal for a pediatric psychiatrist.  I'll warn you though that the diagnosis does not come quickly.  Let me know if you have any questions about bipolar and I will try to help.

MoeMoe01
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I recommend you get an evaluation from a clinical psychologist. They have more training in diagnosis & treatment of mental health diagnosis then a school psychologist. Good luck!
mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Good luck!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:25 AM

I agree here.  Good luck!

Quoting MoeMoe01:

I recommend you get an evaluation from a clinical psychologist. They have more training in diagnosis & treatment of mental health diagnosis then a school psychologist. Good luck!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Welcome! I agree with the other ladies. I don't have any experience but I know that some here will have. 

JOEJULA
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM

http://www.kristen-mcclure-therapist.com/Bipolardisorderchecklist.html

xanadu96
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM
My nine year old DS has bp, ADHD and ASD so we have some experience too. Is one of the issues meltdowns? That is our biggest issue.
PEEK05
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

No sorry but here is a bump.

letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

will your insurance pay for theripies , have his DR     do some referals for evals

kajira
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

My son has a mood disorder, and a psychotic disorder along with a couple of other things. He's on medications, and we tried to keep him off meds for a long time and a super low dose. were finally at the point now where no one is happy. He acknowledges his mood swings and irrational thinking interferes with his ability to make good decisions and act normal, and were at a point where we feel he's old enough to experiement more with medication and a higher dose to get him stable, for his own benefit.

He goes from sad, to happy, to depressed, to giddy and hyper, to violent and aggressive at the drop of a hat for no reason, he has some triggers and we do our best to minimize the ones we can control, but sometimes, he just wakes up in a manic phase, or a crazy phase, or in a rage mood... and it's not really fair to any of us, including him.

Therapies won't really work until their brain is on an even keel, if you suspect a mood disorder, have him evaluated, diet, vitamin and exercise with regular sleep can be enough to control some minor mood disorders/symptoms - but if it's more severe, you probably will need to try some kind of low dose anti psychotic or mood stabilizer.

If I had known that I hadn't had to live my life walking on egg shells with my son, wondering what was going to happen next, and if he'd be happy or sad for no reason, I probably would have tried meds when he was younger. I just didn't suspect a mood disorder because his symptoms were so covered up by other behaviors - once we got some of the other stuff stable, then we saw how bad his moodswings where.

If you suspect a mood disorder, get an evaluation, get yourself help. No one wants an out of control child, and it's not fair to them to feel so out of control and cycle all over the place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)