Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

A substitute wanted to tie up my down syndrome daughter?! Really?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, my kids are in the 4 year old prek for their 2nd year.  They are currently all in generalized classrooms with a Sped teacher (the one 2 of them had last year in self contained) and aid.  And they are doing way better than we ever expected or imagined they would in this setting, so overall we are very happy with the start of the year.  They are split in 2 classrooms and the Sped goes between rooms while they each have a general teacher full time.  Well, the class that has my son with ASD and my daughter with down syndrome had the general teacher out, the Sped was still there but I think suppose to be in the other class that day.  My kid's aid was also out ill, so the Sped stayed anyway.  And to tell you a bit about my daughter, she is a 3 ft tall, 25 lb 5 year old with minimal hearing/understanding, no communication, stubborn, curious, happy, adorable little explorer basically stuck in the toddler stage, so she is plays appropriately for her developmental level (18 mo ish). She also wears a neck brace that makes her extra wobbly so she falls over a lot.  Adults that don't understand SN kids don't seem to know quite what to do with her, but all the kids in her class just adore her and do not find her 'uniqueness' disruptive.  I go to pick the kids up, and I can laugh about this only because I know they were perfectly safe with the Sped teacher.  She adores them and is so protective of all children.  She tells me the sub asked if she could tie my daughter up to something so she wouldn't wander around so much.  What?!  Really?! The Sped was of course like, NO!  So then she asked if she could at least tie the toys she was throwing as she played to her so she couldn't throw them.  Again, the Sped was like, NO!  And she wasn't throwing them at anyone, it was like sitting by the little people throwing one animal out of the barn at a time until they were all around her, then moving on to the blocks.  This is just what she does. 

I get not all teachers are required to be trained in SN kiddos, but shouldn't there be a general no tying rule for any child that they should just naturally comply with?  Seriously, SN or not, what teacher wants to tie up a child?

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thorlin
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM

WOW that is a disturbing thought!!!. I am glad the Sped was there to advocate for appropriateness but come on common sense tells you you don't tie up kids...uggg

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

That was my thought.  Shouldn't a teacher of any kind just know you do not tie up the children??!! 

Quoting Thorlin:

WOW that is a disturbing thought!!!. I am glad the Sped was there to advocate for appropriateness but come on common sense tells you you don't tie up kids...uggg

Monkeymama930
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM
I'm a special education consultant to several schools and no actually a lot of people assume restraining a kid is to used when they are distracting, annoying etc not for there real purpose when a child has become so unable to cope they are a danger to themselves or others. Ugh

JOEJULA
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM

uhhh....not no but hell no. What is wrong with people. I belive there should be cameras in all of the sped rooms that parents can check to look up on their chidlren. Just my thought.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM

That would be amazing.  And that recorded to go back for proof!   

Quoting JOEJULA:

uhhh....not no but hell no. What is wrong with people. I belive there should be cameras in all of the sped rooms that parents can check to look up on their chidlren. Just my thought.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I do understand some violent behaviors probably do require a type of restraining if injury to them or others is at stake.  I don't know what those rules are, but I am sure they exist.  However, this lady really just wanted to like put a 'leash' on her neck collar or tie a string from her wrist to a table like a dog.  She was also a fresh out of college, never taught a class in her life substitute.  Wow. 

Quoting Monkeymama930:

I'm a special education consultant to several schools and no actually a lot of people assume restraining a kid is to used when they are distracting, annoying etc not for there real purpose when a child has become so unable to cope they are a danger to themselves or others. Ugh

disneymom2two
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

That is just scary!  I go through annual recertification of how to do restraints due ot my job; restrains are an absolute last resort for when children are endangering themselves or others.  I'd report this sub and hope that she never is in the room with my kid again.  That woman may have gone to school but she obviously needs some more education if she thinks its okay to tie up a kid.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I do understand some violent behaviors probably do require a type of restraining if injury to them or others is at stake.  I don't know what those rules are, but I am sure they exist.  However, this lady really just wanted to like put a 'leash' on her neck collar or tie a string from her wrist to a table like a dog.  She was also a fresh out of college, never taught a class in her life substitute.  Wow. 

Quoting Monkeymama930:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Oh my word!! Now honestly, I get saying it in her head laughingly or something. I know I've joked about duct taping my kid to his chair at meal times. Would I really ever do it? No. Would I flip out if a teacher actually seriously wanted to. Oh heck yeah!! I'd talk to the principal or board of Ed. She needs more training.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Omg. I giggled though because she's probably thinking how much easier it would be in general. I would never suggest tying up a child though. That's awful. Maybe putting double sides tape on the toys though. Lol
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I giggled too, she's a spitfire.  But I'd never tie her down!  Plus they do have a strap chair in there for her feeding that they could have put her in to sit at group if it was such an issue. And I knew she was safe with the Sped teacher in there.  She takes amazing care of the kids, so no worries with her.  But she said my daughter wasn't even doing anything beyond her usual which is not a problem any other day.  This gal just didn't know what to do with a kid that didn't fit the mold.  Not to mention my son with ASD was melting down on the other side of the room amping up her stress.  Yea lady, come to my house for a while!  Might have been a good test for her.

Quoting mandee1503:

Omg. I giggled though because she's probably thinking how much easier it would be in general. I would never suggest tying up a child though. That's awful. Maybe putting double sides tape on the toys though. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)