Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

? sensory seeking?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 23 Replies

What made me think of this is that last night I got really angry at Lina.

She wouldn't leave me alone while I was around the hot stove trying to get the plates served up, she kept getting in my face and grabbing my sleeve to twist it or rub it, then she constantly wanted to hug me or rub my arm. Lina has always done these things where she rubs your shirt sleeve between her fingers, puts her foot up your pant leg and rubbing it against the material, she will put her fingers in your shirt sleeve and twist it. Those are the things that she has done since she was a baby. 

Now she is doing all those things but over the last year she has begun to do these:  put things in her mouth like a baby does (rarely did this as an infant); sucking on her thumb or fingers on occassion; wants to eat with her fingers again; rubbing her hands or feet on people (like rubbing their arm, when sitting next to them on the couch tries to rub her feet on their leg). She is real bad about pulling on any kind of tie, or sparkly stuff, that is on her clothes. Somethings she pulls them off others she just constantly plays with like running them thru her hands or rubbing them. 

So here is my question: Is this sensory seeking? Could it have been triggered by anxiety? 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  •             R   &   A                Lina 
  •     teenage terror time!    special to all of us!
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I'm not sure but it's definitely a possibility.  Hugs mama!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Thanks.  

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I'm not sure but it's definitely a possibility.  Hugs mama!

divinedimension
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Yes it's a possibility. I don't know about it being triggered by anxiety. I'd ask a developmental pedi

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I am going to keep watching her as it seemed to get better for a few months and now is back at this high level for the last couple months. If it stays at this level or gets worse over the next month I'll be calling her developmental pedi. 

Quoting divinedimension:

Yes it's a possibility. I don't know about it being triggered by anxiety. I'd ask a developmental pedi

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Do you keep a log of her tiggers? Does she seem fearful of anything or has there been a transition in her life?

Are you doing any multisensory integration activities with her?

mlogsdon
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I don't have any experience with this, but I agree with keeping a journal or log of some sort of observations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I don't have an actual log or anything as yet. I currently take her bp everyday in the morning when I wake her for her meds & before bed. I need to keep track of her bowel/intestine issues so that I can tell the Dr if this diet is working. I had been trying to keep track of her behavior because it had gotten so bad that I really thought I might be dealing with ODD but it has turned out to be just a natural growth stage and has begun to temper. I thought of logging this too. Right now I feel like I should have a clipboard straped to my hip. lol

What is multisensory integration? As far as fearful/stressful & transisioning this has been a hard year on her.   

Quoting MamaLauri:

Do you keep a log of her tiggers? Does she seem fearful of anything or has there been a transition in her life?

Are you doing any multisensory integration activities with her?

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM
It does sound like its sensory/attention seeking. My 3 year old does similar things and its frustrating at times, to say the least. Does she get any ot? I would ask her therapist if she does
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

My 6 year old does that touching stuff when he's bored and wants to bug me. When we are shopping he has to touch every solitary item we pass. I thought it was like an obsession until I caught him smirking when I told him for the hundredth time to keep his hands off the merchandise. Now I know he is just being pestiferous.  I wonder how much of hers is attention seeking.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM

When the OT begins I'll ask her about it.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

It does sound like its sensory/attention seeking. My 3 year old does similar things and its frustrating at times, to say the least. Does she get any ot? I would ask her therapist if she does

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN