Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Possible sensory issue?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 33 Replies

Ok so dd is 19 months old.

And most of the time our means of transportation is by taking the city bus. But however we have not taken the bus since she was an infant.

Lately all her appointments and mine are at times where I cannot get a ride so we have been taking the bus. Our bus rides are from 35 to 1hr long, depending on where in the city we are going.

As soon as the bus starts going she freaks out. Clawing at my face and hitting and headbutting me. And will not stop crying the whole way. But when the bus stops to let someone on or off she stops for those brief minutes.

Its getting crazy...today on the bus for 45 minutes I had ppl staring at me and making comments to their friends, it was very hurtful Although I dont care in some ways what they think. I have no way to calm her.

But the second issue is, she gets diarreah sp? on every bus trip. So thats going to and from the appointments. :(

She has her daily poops the same time every day, but on bus days within the first 10 minutes she goes.

I am bringing this up forsure with her pedi next appointment. But what do I do for the time being? Next week we will be on the bus every day almost top go to appointments for her as well as me. I am not sure I can bare it anymore. Its frustrating. I cant help her, she wont sooth.

Do you think its a sensory issue at all.? Does that sound right in your opinon, or something else?

Oh and for the record, when she is in the car and in her seat buckled in she is fine, she is still rfing. Its just the bus, and the seats are sideways as well.

Any info would be helpful, if anyone has been through this.

Thanks.

One bus traveling stressed out mamma.

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM

BUMP!

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Anyone??????
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Definitely might be sensory related.  When is her next pediatrician appt?  

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Not till Dec.

And I can't get in earlier. Got put on a short call list if anyone cancels. But that's it.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I would guess sensory and anxiety.  My child with ASD has both and reacts the same way in crowds.  I would certainly bring it up to the pedi.

You said she will ride in a carseat ok, any reason you can't take the car to appointments instead of the bus?  If it's a 1 car thing with the hubby needing it for work or something, could he take the bus on your appointment days?

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I am a single mom and dont own a car or a drivers license. lol

I usually get rides with friends or my parents. But all my appointments are in the day time, When everyone is at work and since I live outside the city by 25 minutes, the bus is our only option.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I would guess sensory and anxiety.  My child with ASD has both and reacts the same way in crowds.  I would certainly bring it up to the pedi.

You said she will ride in a carseat ok, any reason you can't take the car to appointments instead of the bus?  If it's a 1 car thing with the hubby needing it for work or something, could he take the bus on your appointment days?

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Ok, can you take anything along to distract her?  Toys, books, etc?  You could also try headphones or sun glasses.  They work well on a lot of my son's sensory issues.  Apparently he thinks the people are not there and he can not see them.  He is 5 though, so distraction gets easier and easier. 

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Its not the people. She loves people. Its the movement of the bus itself without being starpped in to a car seat is what I am thinking. I have to hold her on my lap while she screams and wiggles and hits and scratches (only time she does those) cause as soon as the bus stops, she stops. But as soon as the bus starts to move she is right back at it again.

I try to distract her with toys, food, drinks, books her soother etc...she just gets more mad and throws them at me or right on the floor.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Ok, can you take anything along to distract her?  Toys, books, etc?  You could also try headphones or sun glasses.  They work well on a lot of my son's sensory issues.  Apparently he thinks the people are not there and he can not see them.  He is 5 though, so distraction gets easier and easier. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Would there be room on the bus to keep her strapped in a stroller to help her feel a little more secure?  They make 5 pt harnesses strollers just like 5 pt harness car seats, so it may feel about the same to her. 

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Its not the people. She loves people. Its the movement of the bus itself without being starpped in to a car seat is what I am thinking. I have to hold her on my lap while she screams and wiggles and hits and scratches (only time she does those) cause as soon as the bus stops, she stops. But as soon as the bus starts to move she is right back at it again.

I try to distract her with toys, food, drinks, books her soother etc...she just gets more mad and throws them at me or right on the floor.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

ReachtotheStars
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

My toddler has been riding the bus since he was born and all of the sudden just before two he became terrified.  I noticed if I wore him he was more calm, but he made a huge scene too.  It did soon pass afer about 3 months, but he is still a little scared.  

He is my TD child, but I would still as a dr about it.  Early detection is key, and they can't detect if you don't ask.  Your doing good.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN