Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Enlarged Optic Nerves in DS7 *long but I need help* ****Update****

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

I haven't been on in a while and things have been so crazy around here. I finally have a moment's quiet and I'm kind of freaking out. DS7 is ADHD, ODD, and has adjustment disorder and anxiety disorder NOS. We are going thru the IEP process at school and they did the hearing and vision screening. Well, I got a letter about a week ago saying he had failed his vision.( I figured he would because he had been complaining with his eyes for the last couple of months.) I had 5 days to get him an appointment and 30 days to have him seen. Anyway, I scheduled the appointment for 5 days from the day I recieved the letter. We went to the optometrist Friday and they said he needed glasses and give him a prescription (his vision is 20/70), but said his optic nerves were enlarged. The size of an optic nerve is measured  on a scale of 1-9 and a 3 is average. His are a 51/2 to a 6. His eye pressures were good tho (although they were slightly high they were in the "normal" range at 17 & 18 and 20 or lower is normal). They referred us to a Pediatric opthamologist and we go in the morning at 7:40. The optometrist said this could be affecting his ability to read and focus properly and is also the early signs of glaucoma and other disabling diseases. So, with all of that said has anyone dealt with enlarged optic nerves in a child his age? How will it affect him? I don't know how much I can handle but it sure is building up and anyone who has dealt with this no matter what the outcome is/was please help me! Thanks in advance!

*****Update*****

Went to the pediatric opthamologist on Wednesday and they said  he has a progressive eye disease that causes his optic nerves to be enlarged and on top of that he is nearsighted. The eye disease is genetic and my mom has it. They said it woild progress and eventually slow, but generally not until after puberty (sp) and on down the line he will eventually become legally blind and could completely lose his sight. Yes, it is scary to think that my baby will someday not be able to see, but I know that that is way down the line. My mom is 43 and hers has not progressed since she was in her 20's. She is one prescription below being legally blind, but can function in an everyday environment. We got his glasses today and he says he can see so much better. His vision is currently 70/20 in both eyes, but you wouldn't know it the way he acts. Thank uyou for all of the well wishes and support! This group is full of truely amazing mom's who are always willing to offer support! 

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

havent been thru this , hugs

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

It was mentioned at one of Lina eye tests but they said even though they were enlarged there was nothing to worry about. She has a vision test every year and they've never said anything more. She's see both optomatrist & opthomologist.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Hugs mama...no idea to be honest!  Good luck though:)

2_amazing_boys
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM

bump

mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM
*hugs*
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this
That's hard news mama :(. You're taking but well though. Maybe by the time it starts to get serious there may be something they can do about it. Medical technology changes so rapidly :). Hang in there!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)