Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Homework

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 14 Replies

How do you get your ADHD child to do homework? My son absolutely refuses. We sit and work on homework pretty much all evenng and he only gets to eat dinner and he still will not do it. 

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Personally, I can't blame him. I've always thought homework was a stupid idea. They're locked up in school for 8 hours and then have more schoolwork they have to do when they get home. When do kids get to be kids anymore?
Ok, rant over. Does he have a quiet place to work? Do you work with him? Maybe try to make part of it a game or fun somehow.
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I usually try to give him a break after school. I have him do half then like say math and writing...he gets another short break and the he does his spelling and reading. Some nights are harder than others. Right now he lent have to much but I suspect as the year goes on its going to get worse. Also he has therapy 3x a week. It makes having time to be a kid and do his homework tough. I make sure to double check his work and help him as best I can when he needs it. The breaks are key for him. 

cnsmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

There was 1 year that my son (he has autism) had so much homework EVERY night.  We would sit at the table with him almost all evening,(3-4hours every night!!) it was horrible.  He would cry, we would get angry, because it was just too much for him to do.  I mean what were they doing at school if they were sending that much work home? 

We gave him small breaks after so many problems or questions, or after reading so many paragraphs.  We would give him stickers, and at the end of the week we would let him pick out a hot wheel car.  The following year we put it in his IEP that they couldn't send that much homework home.  It was too overwhelming for all of us.   Good luck I know how horrible it can be.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe a reward system? Can you maybe put in his iep that he gets more days to finish his work or maybe less gets sent home?
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I always thought homework for kids in elementary school wasn't a good idea. I could see sending home work they didn't finish but extra is just plain mean imo. Lina gets homework but only 5-6 pages on Monday and its not due back till Friday. So I'm Ok with that so far.

asmoni
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Oh wow....this is our ritual each night too :( what is frustrating as the mom is I know he knows how to do it...just can't/won't sit and do it. Right now things are all different in ur home as I just had major surgery and his schedule is all off.

One tip we got from his behavioral therapist is to give him a small can of Mountain Dew with his snack and get homework done before anything else. It was working well last year, this year we just haven't gotten in the groove of it. 

jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I agree with the others who mentioned maybe having limited hw put into his IEP. They really pile it on sometimes.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM
These ladies have some great ideas! Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemotherof8
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

My granddaughter has homework that comes home on Fridays and is done during the week and goes back on Friday. She has speech on Mondays and the other days of the week she goes to The Learning Center and so when she gets home she has to do her homework. Sometimes i have a hard time with her doing it and other days she does fine. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM

never ending battle for sure , my son was on meds in elementery school and that helped ALOT

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)