Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Here we go again

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:35 AM
  • 6 Replies
Every once in a while Zack goes through this cycle of being extremely naughty and mean and just downright horrible. We started this one Wednesday and I'm already at the point of tears from frustration. He's been spitting, sneaking toys in the middle of the night and other times he's not supposed to have them, screaming at us, and being mean to his brother and sister. Wednesday they were in their room for nap time abd I heard them talking so I went to tell them to be quiet. He was standing in front of Maggie's bed with his pants pulled down trying to get her to touch his butt!! What in the world is that?? So, I grounded him for a week and he's just continuing to push and push and push. He's at it already this morning. When we get home from therapy I'm taking all toys out of his room and his bed is being moved to the bottom bunk since he keeps leaning over the rail to spit on his sister! I don't know what else to do!
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you are doing all you can. Could he be doing this at times because he thinks he isn't getting enough attention and bad attention is better than nothing in his mind? Kids get some strange thoughts and perceptions sometimes. I know R thought he wasn't getting any attention and kept doing things he knew was wrong but since he's been in therapy and him and I spend alot of time together on the ride to therapy every week his overall attitude has gotten better not as good as I know it can be but right now I'll take any improvement.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:26 AM
No idea. At this point, he's actually getting more attention. Jer is at school all day, I homeschool him and Maggie, and dh is home playing and wrestling and stuff with them when I'm at work.
This happens often. I haven't been able to pinpoint the intervals but I'd guess every 3-4 months we get spurts like this. Sometimes it lasts a week, sometimes a month. It is so absolutely exhausting. And nothing I do gets thru. I really don't even expect it to. The real reason I even bother to discipline during these is just to make sure he knows I'm still the authority when he's back to normal. Know what I mean?

Quoting Linagma03:

It sounds like you are doing all you can. Could he be doing this at times because he thinks he isn't getting enough attention and bad attention is better than nothing in his mind? Kids get some strange thoughts and perceptions sometimes. I know R thought he wasn't getting any attention and kept doing things he knew was wrong but since he's been in therapy and him and I spend alot of time together on the ride to therapy every week his overall attitude has gotten better not as good as I know it can be but right now I'll take any improvement.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I'm sorry. I hope this helps.
Pukalani79
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

((HUGS)) I'm so sorry. My daughter gets like that sometimes.  Often it's when she gets overwhelmed or over stimulated.  We've had her in counseling on and off for a couple of years now, and they've worked to teach her that when she's feeling that anger or that irritation where she just wants to lash out at everyone to find somewhere she can be alone until she can calm down.  It does help. Good luck!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

It sounds like it's going in cycles so maybe on top of the other dx he should be tested or seen to see if he is bipolar.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

No idea. At this point, he's actually getting more attention. Jer is at school all day, I homeschool him and Maggie, and dh is home playing and wrestling and stuff with them when I'm at work.
This happens often. I haven't been able to pinpoint the intervals but I'd guess every 3-4 months we get spurts like this. Sometimes it lasts a week, sometimes a month. It is so absolutely exhausting. And nothing I do gets thru. I really don't even expect it to. The real reason I even bother to discipline during these is just to make sure he knows I'm still the authority when he's back to normal. Know what I mean?

Quoting Linagma03:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I'm sorry mama! Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)