Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Dark spots on sons spine

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 18 Replies
Zack has scoliosis. He was walking around without his shirt this evening and we were looking at his back. On the bottom of his spine he has a line of dark, almost bruised looking, spots. I'll post a pic in the replies. But I was just wondering if y'all had any idea what it was or if its nothing lol. Thanks ladies.
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Mobile Photo

mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Looks like an old bruise almost. Is it brown or yellow? Maybe just a skin discoloration? I have a few spots like that 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:59 AM
It's kind of a reddish brown. He says it doesn't hurt and he never complains of back pain or anything. I don't know..
jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:51 AM
My son has this as well. Long story short, the dr put him on a steroid cream which seemed to help, but she also sent him for X-rays. They came back saying he had scoliosis of the thoracic spine. I took him to a very highly respected orthopedic at Hopkkns and he said no, he didn't have scoliosis. The nurse at that appt called the area a stress point. His still looks somewhat like your son's and never really went away (it's been about 1.5 year) but doesn't look as bad as it did when I first took him in.
jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I'll see if I can get a pic when I get him dressed and then will try to log onto the PC later (I'm on mobile right now) and upload the pic.

Interesting enough, my son doesn't have scoliosis (I saw the X-rays) but he has ligament ours laxity and his entire spine seems to shift. He was standing very straight and tall for the X-ray (I was in the room the whole time) and on the X-ray his spine, which was very straight, was tilted at about a 15* angle. The orthopedic said it was not scoliosis since the spine itself is not curved or twisted, but that his ligamentous laxity just allows it to shift like that. He did not view it as a concern.
Mipsy
by Chelle on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Looks like bruises. Ty used to get them there a lot. Dr says its normal from playing and stuff
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Lion gets bruises there from bouncing down the stairs on his bottom. Lol, does Zack ever do that?
letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

it does look like healing up playing around bruises , but ?

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM
We don't have stairs lol

Quoting Elyssa414:

Lion gets bruises there from bouncing down the stairs on his bottom. Lol, does Zack ever do that?

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess we'll just keep an eye on them. If they don't go away in a few weeks, I'll talk to the dr thanks ladies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)