Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

This is so hard

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 15 Replies
DD will be 3 Oct. 5th. She has been with me everyday since she was born. She has never spent the night away from me or long periods of the day for the matter. Almost 2 weeks ago, my mom and I took her to the district CPSE office to get her signed up for school. They found a school right away, we toured it and she loved it (dd that is). She was so excited to start school as she is very rarely socialized with other kids and that was he concern in early intevention.

Now whats so hard abot all this? 1) She will be gone for 6 hours ago a day 2) She has never been away from me 3) She will be on a school bus without me for 20-30 4) She was supoosed to start today but they just got all the paperwork today so her technical start date is tomorrow and she has a cold and they have a strict policy on sending kids to school sick 5) (and to add on to 4) I cant take her to prepare her for being without me for 6 hours a day which I would have done had she not been sick. So more than likely her first day will be next week when her bus service starts and she will be going to her first day on a bus AND without me to guide her a little.

I know I might be overreacting but this process was so fast. I thought I had at least a month. Anyone have some advice on what I should or should not do right now because im freaking out
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briellesmomma
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Sorry for typos
letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

i know how this is ,

she will probly do better than you think , and do social stories - like talk with her how to ride the bus- stay in your seat ,  stay quiet , keep your hands to yourself etc...you can ask the bus driver if she can sit front seat on the right so they can see her all the time if possible ,

and in school how that may be , she will have a snack , probly circle time , and its fun etc.. and for you i know its rough ,  hugggggs

mlogsdon
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have advice, my son is 2. I'm almost positive I'll be feeling the same way ;-) but my son has been away from me overnight with family before once, and all day with DH when I had things to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

It was suggested to me, by another Mom to follow the bus to the school so that I was the one that put her on the bus and she would see me when the teacher & aids got the kids off the bus. I didn't do that and I wish I had.

Personally I would put her on the bus, go to the school and be there when she gets off. Don't be the one to go to the doors and help her off but be where she can see you. If it is okay with the teacher then sit in the class for a little bit, then let her know that you are going home and will be waiting for her when the bus brings her home. If you can do that not only will you know that the initial transistion went well for her. Then it will help YOU make the transistion as well.

It will be okay. She will probably make the change easier than you will!  

mlogsdon
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that's a great idea!

Quoting Linagma03:

It was suggested to me, by another Mom to follow the bus to the school so that I was the one that put her on the bus and she would see me when the teacher & aids got the kids off the bus. I didn't do that and I wish I had.

Personally I would put her on the bus, go to the school and be there when she gets off. Don't be the one to go to the doors and help her off but be where she can see you. If it is okay with the teacher then sit in the class for a little bit, then let her know that you are going home and will be waiting for her when the bus brings her home. If you can do that not only will you know that the initial transistion went well for her. Then it will help YOU make the transistion as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If they let you do this it would be awesome. Great idea!

Quoting Linagma03:

Emeraldmama7
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel your pain.  My kids were never away from me either and I cried every time I sent them off to kindergarten.  My oldest had a hard time and the others were just fine, although i still cried.  I was even more upset when just two days before school, I found out K went to a full day.  My son was very attached to me and I worried like heck about him.  Surprisingly he did great and he's adjusted just fine.  There are days where he says he still misses me but he is my little social butterfly.  =D

If you aren't able to be there on her first day or prepare her to being away from you, then I would just talk with her. Let her know what will happen in her day, what time she will get out and when she will see you again.  Reassure her that you are not far and if she needs you, just talk to the teacher.  Make her excited about her first day (a crying worried mom only further worries the child).  I always up-talked my children's first day and never let them see me cry.  I'll tell you what.....I still cried when my oldest went to middle school this year. it's a tough adjustment for everyone, but we all end up ok in the end.

Hugs, mama!!!  I'll be praying for you and your little one.  Keep us updated on how it goes. 

Jessa, mama to:

Alyssa(11), Autumn(11), Mariah(10), Matthew(9), Blake(7), Laila(4), Athena(1), Sage(m/c 4/13), and our newest EDD 03/23/14!!!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
No advice. This will be us in November. Ds is going to freak and I will cry. Lol
MamaLauri
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I know it is hard, but you must hold it together for her. As she makes her way it will become easier for you.

hugs

briellesmomma
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Great idea. My mom and i agreed we are going to do this!! Thank you!!

Quoting Linagma03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)