Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Sensory issues cause ADHD or same thing?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son is 2 and has major sensory seeking behaviors. He has had OT for 9 months now and it seems to just be gettin worse. He seems to be on speed 24/7 and fears NOTHING. He is driving me NUTS! Seriously I love him to death but he is climbing on furniture and jumping off and onto ppl. He already has a bean bag and mini trampoline for jumping. He has tons of sensory toys and has room to run.
Anyway.... Could he eventually get an ADHD dx or is his simply just extreme sensory seeking? Are they the same thing?
He has an ASD screening appointment in Dec cause he is very speech delayed. They said they have to rule it out (though no one thinks he has it cause his markers are all speech and sensory issues, which can be related to each other and unrelated to ASD) but that at least he will get a full developmental screening and find anything else going on.

ANYONE have ideas??
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mocking.Jay
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I know, my son was diagnosed as SPD before ADHD. He actually was just diagnosed today by his pediatrician and a developmental pediatrician. Sometimes sensory issues go hand in hand with ADHD. For my son, he has sensory issues with sound and taste/touch. He puts EVERYTHING in his mouth and on top of it, he has eczema, so sometimes he gets little rashes from chewing on clothing, drooling, or putting things in his mouth that cause a reaction to his sensitive skin.

Monkiebut
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Bump
raysma07
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

my son has sensory issues and Adhd. but his sensory was dx first . He had speech delay due to lots of ear infections and had tubes placed in his ears at 2 yrs. old .but he has sensory intergration disorder and adhd. Can't really say though if they go hand in hand but I will be asking his peds. now!

letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

they are not the same thing , you will see from the evaluation  results

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I honestly think 2 years old may be too young for an ADHD diagnosis.  I've never seen sensory issues go hand in hand with ADHD, but it's always possible:)  Hugs!

Monkiebut
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I was just wondering. His sensory seeking seems to get worse everyday despite his trampoline, beanbag and sensory toys. I swear one day I will find him jumping off the roof!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I honestly think 2 years old may be too young for an ADHD diagnosis.  I've never seen sensory issues go hand in hand with ADHD, but it's always possible:)  Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN