Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS7 hitting himself when he is angry/upset

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

Jake (DS7) is ADHD, ODD, adjustment disorder and anxiety NOS. He has problems with authority anyway, but he is really struggling in school these past few weeks  with his behavior as well as his school work. I'm used to the roller coaster of emotions that he goes through every week. I kind of wonder if he is bipolar. When they done his assessment he was borderline childhood bipolar, but he doesn't have that diagnosis. Anyway, in the past 2-3 weeks when he gets angry or upset about anything he starts hitting himself. He has told me before that he wanted to die, but I never thought that he would start actually hurting himself. It hurts me to see him hurt himself.

He is currently unmedicated due to me having trouble finding a doctor that will do more than just write a prescription and kick us out of his office. I'm at the end of my rope. I have tried everything from talking to him to holding him down to make him stop hitting himself. Generally, he hits himself in the face and head. He now has to wear glasses and I'm terrified that he will hurt himsself worse if he hits his glasses. I told him tonight if he didn't stop I would have to take him to the Pediatric Mental Health Hospital. He said he didn't really care other than I wouldn't be able to stay with him. My heart is broken and I don't know what to do. Please help me Mommas!!!!

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I wish I had something to tell you. I haven't had any experience with this situation. If he isn't in therapy maybe he should be. A therapist might be able to help him understand about his anger and stress. 

Big Hugs Momma! I will pray for both of you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama...I'm sorry to read this.  I honestly don't have any advice other than getting him into seeing a behavioral therapist or child psychologist.  Hugs!

MoeMoe01
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:35 AM
I would recommend a psychologist. They are the best trained to help children and families with complicated mental health diagnosis. Your pediatrician should be able to recommend one.
Mocking.Jay
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:13 AM

My son kicks things and hits himself on the head too, but I don't think he's psychologically unstable. Sorry. I don't have any advice. :(

2_amazing_boys
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

We have been doing therapy but on the last couple of visits he has just shut down :( I don't know what is going on and I feel so helpless, but thanks!

Quoting Linagma03:

I wish I had something to tell you. I haven't had any experience with this situation. If he isn't in therapy maybe he should be. A therapist might be able to help him understand about his anger and stress. 

Big Hugs Momma! I will pray for both of you.

2_amazing_boys
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I am used to him hitting things and sometimes hitting himself, but not with the intent to hurt himself and these past few times he has did it wanting to hurt himself and that makes it tough.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

My son kicks things and hits himself on the head too, but I don't think he's psychologically unstable. Sorry. I don't have any advice. :(

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

*hugs*  this is so hard. 

What have the doctors told you about this behavior?  Maybe a medication IS needed? 

It's hard when such little ones have such self destructive emotions. 

2_amazing_boys
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

the Dr. we were seeing said it was "normal" and if it got worse we would deal with it. I have obivously not taken him back to that Dr. but I have found a new Dr. and am going to make him an appointment Monday! I know he needs medication, but I think he needs more than just the ADHD medication. His mood and emotions are so all over the place all the time. It is very hard to see my 7 year old hurt himself and tell me he wants to die!

Quoting DDDaysh:

*hugs*  this is so hard. 

What have the doctors told you about this behavior?  Maybe a medication IS needed? 

It's hard when such little ones have such self destructive emotions. 

Hottubgodess
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM

RED FLAG!!!!  

Now I have said that...he needs an appropriate way to get out his feelings.  Let him scream, hit a pillow, jump on a trampoline.  Ask him in a calm minute to think about a way he can do it that doesnt hurt him.  Make him part of the process..

He is in overload and you cant stop the behaviour unless he has a replacement behaviour.  Does this make sense?

benny1031
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Good idea going to a different doctor . I believe that he does need to be on meds has somehting happened at school that would make him shut down during the session? Big hugs to you. Keep update on his progress.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)