Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

P/T wants to talk with the gym teacher! :))

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 19 Replies

Cody started p/t twice a week this week. His therapist tried some super feet insoles with him to try and help the angle of his ankles until we can get hi in with an orthotist. She took pictures and boy what a difference. It's not perfect but it was a lot better. 

So, since starting the 504 process I have given the school and specifically the PE teacher letters explaining cmt and where Cody is at physically....what he can handle and what he can't. They have stopped running laps all together. Now they do activities to music and have to I guess jog in place for like 30 seconds. Cody said that if he stops before he's supposed to the whole class has to stop and start over. Neither myself or his P/T liked hearing that....and now she wants his phone number, email, whatever so she can have a talk with him! Love it! I hope she sets him straight!

anyway, that's my Friday. Hope you all are having great ones. Hope to go this weekend to get him fitted for insoles. 

have a great weekend! 

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlogsdon
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM
It's good that the therapist is involved. That would be embarrassing, and unfair treatment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Yes it is. Gym days are especially hard. You can always tell by the look on his face. I really just want to pull him out and be done. 

Quoting mlogsdon:

It's good that the therapist is involved. That would be embarrassing, and unfair treatment.

graycalico
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM
That's awesome! Hopefully the teacher will get a better understanding.
jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Yeah, I don't like the sound of that making the whole class stop and start over if he stops thing. That may make the other kids resentful of him and it's probably humiliating to your son. What kind of teacher would do that? I'm glad the PT is going to speak to him about it.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Sounds like you have a great therapist. Hope she gets through to the PE teacher.

mjande4
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Heads up, legally the teacher can NOT speak to anyone, but you,  about your son.  The therapist can certainly call, but the teacher can't discuss your son.  You are better off having a note written to the teacher BY the therapist.

jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
There are forms which you can fill out giving consent for certain parties to communicate on your child's behalf. We did that for my son so that the therapists at the feeding clinic and his private SLP could speak to the school therapists and teachers and vice versa. It requires your consent.

Quoting mjande4:

Heads up, legally the teacher can NOT speak to anyone, but you,  about your son.  The therapist can certainly call, but the teacher can't discuss your son.  You are better off having a note written to the teacher BY the therapist.

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Thank you ladies! I appreciate all of the support and advice. We have a meeting Monday morning so I am going to dig a little deeper and see if I can speak with the gym teacher myself. I'm notdoubting what my son is telling me but I think there is more to the story so Hopefully I can get this worked out.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I agree here.  Hugs mama!

Quoting jjamom:

Yeah, I don't like the sound of that making the whole class stop and start over if he stops thing. That may make the other kids resentful of him and it's probably humiliating to your son. What kind of teacher would do that? I'm glad the PT is going to speak to him about it.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I hope things go well. I don't like it either.

I'm really glad that his therapist is going to get involved in this.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)