Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I'm so tired! My dd w/disability won't go to sleep @ nite! Advice please?!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:39 AM
  • 13 Replies
My 2yo dd has developmental delay, cortical visual impairment, reflux/feeding issues...low muscle tone, can't sit up, crawl, walk , talk, etc. She is a very happy baby, but she really resists sleeping and it's killing me!

She rarely takes naps, & when she does they are about 20 mins long. She *never naps for 1-2 hours, thus I never get a break during the day. Then at night you can tell she's just exhausted, even starts to fall asleep on the floor or in her chair in the den w/us.
But...then when I put her in her crib she will get wide awake & lay there for literally hours rolling around, "talking", even laughing & acting silly. She doesn't cry, she just won't sleep!
We are going to have a sleep study done, but I just want to know if anyone has gone through this and how you dealt with it. Is it because she is sp needs or do neurotypical kids go through this as well?
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Chelle on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Have they thought about trying melatonin (sp?)? Is the lack of sleep affecting her? Do you keep her laying at angle or flat? If she has reflux, laying flat can cause the reflux to be bothersome and could be a factor in why she doesn't sleep.
proudmomalexis
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Melatonin hasalit of side effects. it was on Dr Oz.
Jenniy
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:48 AM

My youngest was like that, he was diagnosised with severe insomnia and is on a few meds now and he sleeps about 8 hours a night.

mlogsdon
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Mine never did that. He spoiled me. He goes to bed and sleeps about 10-12 hours at night, and 1.5-2 during the day. The only time he fought was when he was overtired, sick, or teething. Sorry momma, that has to be exhausting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
My ds goes to bed but is up constantly. We had a sleep study done. While you are waiting for that you could try a little chamomile tea if she doesn't have ragweed allergies. Or play white noise or music with 60 bpm. Maybe cosleep one night to see if she settles with you near? That could make her want to play with you though. Lol sleep issues are tough. I feel like a zombie!
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Sorry I don't have any experience with that. I hope some of the advice here will help you. Big Hugs Momma!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Dr. Oz is an idiot.  You can't believe everything you hear/watch on TV.  Just my take:)  Melatonin has been shown to work well for many children that struggle with sleeping.

Quoting proudmomalexis:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Hugs mama!  I would speak with her doctor about it and see if Melatonin would be a good thing to try.  

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Dr. Oz is an idiot.  You can't believe everything you hear/watch on TV.  Just my take:)  Melatonin has been shown to work well for many children that struggle with sleeping.

Quoting proudmomalexis:

Melatonin is what the body naturally produces to put us to sleep as it is. I haven't done any research on it, though, so I can't say for a fact that it doesn't have any side effects.  

CafeMom Tickers
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM

My daughter has/had many of those symptoms at that age.  She also has down syndrome though to account for many of them.  She hardly ever napped during the day, if she did it was whenever she wanted and very short.  Nights she could take forever to fall asleep, then wake up and be up for 4 hours at a time.  She did not make up for the lack of sleep during the day.  We went ahead with the sleep study and found she had obstructive sleep apnea where she woke up from not breathing several times an hour so she was basically sleep deprived.  To resolve it we tried a CPAP machine with no luck and then went ahead with tonsil removal as hers were so huge they were what obstructed her airway when she slept.  The obstructive apnea is now resolved, she still has positional apnea meaning she needs ot sleep on her tummy or side and not her back.  She still does not sleep well when she is ill (and she keeps a cold for like 4-8 weeks at a time, so winters are long).  But for the most part it is much better.  I hope your sleep study gives you some answers.  If you do have apnea, push for the tonsil/adenoid removal.  That CPAP machine is just hard to get kids to accept.  Best of luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)