Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Fad diagnosis??

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this
I get that some things are over diagnosed. ADHD and add being a good example. But we worked hard to get our autism disgnosises. Not because we wanted them to have autism but because we already had figured it out and need the diagnosis to get their services to help them overcome. Abd it is working and Maggie and Jer are thriving. Zack is doing ok, but still working to get him into therapy that can help him more as well.
So, maybe I'm touchy, but I get so mad when I hear people say that drs ate overdiagnosing autism. Or that its the newest bandwagon and all that mess. It took 3.5 years of therapies, evaluations, testing, countless trips to the dr and Little Rock for appointments to finally get my son an accurate diagnosis. I don't know where these drs are that are stamping every kid who walks through the door with an autism label, but they certainly aren't in Arkansas!!
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I have seen the remarks not only on CM but in other media. It makes me angry when I see and hear people say those things.

lissadavis
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Not here in SD either 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Hugs mama!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this

To be honest, I don't put much thought into what people say...

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I know I shouldn't. It just irks me when I see the struggles my kids face and the fight we had to get a diagnosis. And then to hear people say that autism isn't that prevalent and drs will diagnose anybody with it. Just grates on my nerves. And I really don't have a lot of nerves left lol

Quoting darbyakeep45:

To be honest, I don't put much thought into what people say...

mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Not until cm have I heard so many angry women convinced that dx are just handed out. And it's that they aren't. There is just such a huge leap in technology that things are being caught sooner and results are able to be shared quicker thanks to the Internet. What may have been missed 15 years ago and no one sharing with each other is now common knowledge.
2_amazing_boys
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I am right there with you mama! My son is dxed ADHD and has other issues with it and I know that it is hugely misdiagnosed, but to work as hard as we do to get the dx and then someone tell us it is an "excuse" and I have seen it with Autism too and it is very annoying, but the people that are saying it don't know how hard we fight for our kids and their special needs or how hard it is to go through a day with them. It is a tough job but somebody has to do it and you have been chosen because you can take all that comes with it :) Hugs mama!

letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

i know exactly what you are saying , and i agree

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM
I can totally see why that would be frustrating! *hugs*
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

i hear this a lot too...but i've noticed it's from people who nothing about it!
i'm just starting the process with my daughter...so I have no clue her diagnosis....but already we are jumping through hoops.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN