Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What do you say?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok, I don't have a real diagnosis yet. But, I hear people call my daughter different things and it really makes me cringe. I want to correct people, but am not sure what to say.

For instance yesterday, I went to Olive Garden with my mom. My mom asks for a quiet booth and informs the waitress that my daughter is anti-social (this one really makes me cringe!!) and then she just needs a quiet place.
I didn't know what to say.

She gets upset in loud and/or crowded  places......but this place was actually pretty quiet and not many people so it wasn't a problem. She gets really excited at times and sometimes will squeal.....not like a shriek or anything lol.
I know that always embarrasses my mom....it never seems to bother anyone around us though. Also when she uses the colors in the resturant...she will sometimes do like a stabbing motion with the colors in her hand so the point of the color hits the page on the table and makes a sound. She's super shy and doesn't llike people to talk to her or look at her lol.
She has some delays so doesn't always understand what/if she's doing something wrong.

What would you say other than anti-social? Or should I say special needs?
In the past I've said she has social anxiety.....but people just look at me like i'm crazy.

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just say special needs. You don't need to get into detail. But if something someone says is offensive, tell them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thorlin
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I usually just say "my youngest tends to get over stimulated, can we be put in a quieter location so we dont  disturb anyone"

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM
I say developmentally disabled, but I'm not sure if that applies to you...
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I'd maybe even mention sensory overload.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I would say sensory overload.  Hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN