Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Its not always pickiness

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 14 Replies
I believe Ds has some sensory issues, more so with food. Like for instance he will try hamburger helper once but wont eat more then one bite. When I say eat more its fighting him, so that leads me to believe he doesn't like it for one reason or another. I usually just make bp&j for days that I do make hamburger helper. But how do I get my roommates to understand that something's Ds just doesn't like and I'm not catering to his wants but his needs. I know a lot of times he has pickiness but most of the time its a texture issue. Like two nights ago I made agrutine (sp) potatos he took two bites but wouldn't touch it again. Do I then make him a pb&j?? How do I address this??
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Your son is little, isn't he? I think it's pretty normal for LOs to be picky about grownup food. It  can take something like 10 times of introducing a food before a child will try it. I always put a variety of food on my kids' plates and make sure to include something they will eat. I just ask them to taste new foods, but I don't push it. I think it was great he took two bites of the potatoes. My 3 year old is overcoming some big feeding issues and what helped him was letting him take bites from my plate and then once he knew he liked it he ate it on his plate.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Also, try giving him some of the cooked groundbeef before you mix it in to the Hamburger Helper. My son will eat spaghetti noodles and meatballs, but put it all together as spaghetti and meatballs and he says he doesn't like it.

Bookoholic
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM
He is 4.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Your son is little, isn't he? I think it's pretty normal for LOs to be picky about grownup food. It  can take something like 10 times of introducing a food before a child will try it. I always put a variety of food on my kids' plates and make sure to include something they will eat. I just ask them to taste new foods, but I don't push it. I think it was great he took two bites of the potatoes. My 3 year old is overcoming some big feeding issues and what helped him was letting him take bites from my plate and then once he knew he liked it he ate it on his plate.

Bookoholic
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM
He likes meat and noodles but not in the same dish

Quoting Bluecalm:

Also, try giving him some of the cooked groundbeef before you mix it in to the Hamburger Helper. My son will eat spaghetti noodles and meatballs, but put it all together as spaghetti and meatballs and he says he doesn't like it.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Quoting Bookoholic:

Quoting Bluecalm:

Maybe you could give him several little bowls of food instead all on the same plate? I remember when I was a kid I hated when any of the food on my plate touched.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting Bookoholic:

Quoting Bluecalm:

Maybe you could give him several little bowls of food instead all on the same plate? I remember when I was a kid I hated when any of the food on my plate touched.

I think that this is a great idea. 

britmichele
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I agree. I did this with my son for a while. He's still eating what you're eating, just not mixed together :) as for your roommates, idk the situation, but id tell them to piss off ;-)

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting Bookoholic:

Quoting Bluecalm:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I'm not sure mama...my son is almost 5 years old and only eats baby food.  Hugs!

SAMI_JO
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM
As long as you are fulfilling your responsibility to your child, who cares what they think. Find something that they don't like to eat, cook it and tell them to eat it. When they say "I don't like that" then you say "well that is how ds feels". My ds won't even try most things due to texture. If he was blindfolded he would probably like most of it. But it is the way their senses are relayed to their brain. Really is it worth the fight. Just fix him a pb&j, before you sit down, have it in a less viewable place, then when he doesn't like something you bring out the sandwich and he eats with everyone else, and if they don't like it, then you need to find new roommates.
lissadavis
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM
the one bite rule works well. One bite of everything at every meal. They get to taste it but do not feel too much pressure.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)