Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Epic meltdown tonight.

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
  • 36 Replies

Mobile Photo

Elijah pinched Liam in the car, so I climbed in the back to protect Liam, and Elijah FLIPPED. Pinched, hit, scratched, pulled out some if my hair... My husband had to pull off the freeway and switch with me. Liam sat in the front for the rest of the way home.
My heart is broken-again. And this isn't med related, we haven't even started it yet. :(
He is so broken sometimes. He's been through SO much in his short life. He's obviously scared of his own strength and the intensity of his emotions... He sobbed himself to sleep, and is grounded from TV, video games, outings and Grandma for a week.
I hate this. I'm so sad for all my kids, that this kind of stuff is part of our lives. I'm so scared that I won't be able to stop him from doing something really bad someday...
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Chelle on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Oh elyssa I'm so so sorry. Are you guys doing behavioral therapy?
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM
He has a psychologist and a paychiatrist, but no, no behavioral therapy- I don't even know where to look or who might help. And how would we pay for it?? :(

Quoting Mipsy:

Mipsy
by Chelle on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Oh you guys don't have state insurance? Paging oop is so hard. We go to a behavioral counselor, they are kinda like a psych, but we focus on behavior. Ty struggles with control since he essentially has none over his own body (you know, constantly being fed through the tube, meds, drs looking at him, drs touching him, tests etc).

Quoting Elyssa414:

He has a psychologist and a paychiatrist, but no, no behavioral therapy- I don't even know where to look or who might help. And how would we pay for it?? :(

Quoting Mipsy:

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I'm so sorry. Does grounding him help prevent future meltdowns? I don't know the best way to handle them myself, that's why I'm asking. When my son has one he's so caught up in the moment he isn't thinking rationally at all and is ashamed afterwards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I honestly don't know what will help, but he had a melt down last weekend- not nearly this bad- and he lost his video game for the week, and he really tried to earn it back, (and did earn it back today)... So it's something tangible that we can discuss all week, "oh, we can't play that because you made a choice to______.... Let's try to be really good, so you can earn it back on Saturday!"

I'm hoping it will keep the dialogue going about what happened today and why it can't happen again and how we can do better to earn back privileges that we want.... But maybe I'm just being too optimistic... :/

Quoting Bluecalm:

I'm so sorry. Does grounding him help prevent future meltdowns? I don't know the best way to handle them myself, that's why I'm asking. When my son has one he's so caught up in the moment he isn't thinking rationally at all and is ashamed afterwards.
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:57 PM
We lost our Medicaid this month. :( :( my husband made too much money last year. Now we're screwed.

Quoting Mipsy:

Oh you guys don't have state insurance? Paging oop is so hard. We go to a behavioral counselor, they are kinda like a psych, but we focus on behavior. Ty struggles with control since he essentially has none over his own body (you know, constantly being fed through the tube, meds, drs looking at him, drs touching him, tests etc).

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Mipsy
by Chelle on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Oh Elyssa, I'm truly sorry dear

Quoting Elyssa414:

We lost our Medicaid this month. :( :( my husband made too much money last year. Now we're screwed.

Quoting Mipsy:

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Thanks. It'll be okay- it's not brain surgery. (That's my motto, and I'm sticking with it!)... I'm just so depressed and hopeless feeling tonight. Tomorrow I will get on my big girl panties and research what help is available....

Quoting Mipsy:

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Mipsy
by Chelle on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM
*HUGS* honestly its healthy to take a moment to cry or do whatever to the feelings out then pick back up and go on. I hope you can find some great resources.

What about Medicaid as a secondary insurance? Like a Katy Beckett waiver program?

Quoting Elyssa414:

Thanks. It'll be okay- it's not brain surgery. (That's my motto, and I'm sticking with it!)... I'm just so depressed and hopeless feeling tonight. Tomorrow I will get on my big girl panties and research what help is available....

Quoting Mipsy:

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Nope. We don't qualify for any form of Medicaid. The only reason we had it this long was because he is a "categorically needy patient"... But now we can't even get it for that.

Quoting Mipsy:

*HUGS* honestly its healthy to take a moment to cry or do whatever to the feelings out then pick back up and go on. I hope you can find some great resources.

What about Medicaid as a secondary insurance? Like a Katy Beckett waiver program?

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting Mipsy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)