Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help need school advice!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 26 Replies
I don't post here often I just kinda lurk. We'll my daughter has aspergers and is in kindergarten. She has an aide the whole time at school 1:1 most of the time and 1:2 3 hours a week. Alex is crazy smart so is bored and gets into trouble. The aide and teacher both know its because she's bored and they try to compensate for if by doing 1st grade reading and math. The teacher said if she was neurotypical she would recommend she be advanced.

Anyway when she gets bored and gets into trouble she gets sent to room 10 (the special ed class with the head E.R.R. Teacher, we'll call her Mrs. M. This morning Mrs. M came by and said hi just as it was time to go into class. Alex squealed and hid behind me. This is NOT like Alex. I personally don't like her either for a past incident. Alex just says she doesn't like her but that is an extreme reaction for Alex. Usually she just won't look towards the person and completely ignore them then misbehave more for them.

What can I do? My gut says something is off but I don't know what!
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Is she being punished more then just the normal boredom? Maybe you can sit in one time when she gets sent there to see what's actually taking place.
Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM
She's punished for her actions not because she's bored. She just acts out when she's bored. I don't care for mrs. M because one day when I was dropping her off mrs m was trying to pull her into the line with one arm around Alex and the other holding her coffee...my mom (Alex's "person") was in the ICU and Alex just wanted an extra hug.

Alex has only come home with 1 injury and she closed her finger in the bathroom stall door. When I sat in I saw nothing wrong being done...

Quoting mandee1503:

Is she being punished more then just the normal boredom? Maybe you can sit in one time when she gets sent there to see what's actually taking place.
HaileysMom07180
by Kelly on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

although this can be a good idea, its not realistic,  the teacher will be perfect for you everytime you sit in.  last year we did the same thing that one guy did that made the news and pur a recording device on her.  we had found that the teacher was singling her out a lot and at one point told dd to stop pretending like she couldn't see.  at this point she had had an eye surgery 10 days prior and this particular surgery, the doctor said it could take up to 3 months for her to see clearly.  then the teacher contacted me and told me she was using her disability to her advantage.  at the time this had happened, she had just been diagnosed with PDD and they were starting to look at possible Asberghers, (she hasn't been diagnosed with it as of right now they are still evaluating her but they are saying she will most likely be diagnosed with that as well.)  dd has no clue what she has right now, she is only 7.  we moved to a new school district and put her in a new school and her new teacher is amazing.  she is so patient.  dd has the same issue btw, she learns quick then gets bored, but really struggles with social skills.  her teacher even emailed me one day to let me know that she had paired her up with a kid to play with and asked her to play with her as long as she could cuz she always say her spinning in the spinny cups by herself.

Quoting mandee1503:

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I'm trying to get her into a charter school. The school she's at now has multiple complaints of not working with SN kids.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

although this can be a good idea, its not realistic,  the teacher will be perfect for you everytime you sit in.  last year we did the same thing that one guy did that made the news and pur a recording device on her.  we had found that the teacher was singling her out a lot and at one point told dd to stop pretending like she couldn't see.  at this point she had had an eye surgery 10 days prior and this particular surgery, the doctor said it could take up to 3 months for her to see clearly.  then the teacher contacted me and told me she was using her disability to her advantage.  at the time this had happened, she had just been diagnosed with PDD and they were starting to look at possible Asberghers, (she hasn't been diagnosed with it as of right now they are still evaluating her but they are saying she will most likely be diagnosed with that as well.)  dd has no clue what she has right now, she is only 7.  we moved to a new school district and put her in a new school and her new teacher is amazing.  she is so patient.  dd has the same issue btw, she learns quick then gets bored, but really struggles with social skills.  her teacher even emailed me one day to let me know that she had paired her up with a kid to play with and asked her to play with her as long as she could cuz she always say her spinning in the spinny cups by herself.

Quoting mandee1503:

HaileysMom07180
by Kelly on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM

dd is in a public school but the school district she is now in has a lot of money which gave them the means to hire good experienced teachers.  and the resource teachers in this school district has 2 full time aids for every 5 kids, where as her old school district the resource teachers got an aid for 1 hour a week, period and only 3 schools out of the 47 elementary schools had a resource teacher.  her new school district has 3 in each school, but they have less schools so way more kids in each school.  she finally has a friend, but she said she can't pronouce his name so she calls him boy and he lives in our apartment complex.  its a nice muslim family that live a few doors down.  dd said she is in love with boy and is going to marry him when shes old, i told her if she's going to marry him, she better learn how to pronounce his name lol

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

I'm trying to get her into a charter school. The school she's at now has multiple complaints of not working with SN kids.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Quoting mandee1503:

mlogsdon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Are you able to talk to Alex and see if you can find out where that reaction came from? Was it out of fear? 

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Alex has her own aide, technically she helps another little boy but he doesn't need much help and according to his mom gets 3 hours with the aide a week. Good part is she was in preschool with him and is friends with him.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

dd is in a public school but the school district she is now in has a lot of money which gave them the means to hire good experienced teachers.  and the resource teachers in this school district has 2 full time aids for every 5 kids, where as her old school district the resource teachers got an aid for 1 hour a week, period and only 3 schools out of the 47 elementary schools had a resource teacher.  her new school district has 3 in each school, but they have less schools so way more kids in each school.  she finally has a friend, but she said she can't pronouce his name so she calls him boy and he lives in our apartment complex.  its a nice muslim family that live a few doors down.  dd said she is in love with boy and is going to marry him when shes old, i told her if she's going to marry him, she better learn how to pronounce his name lol

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Quoting mandee1503:

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM
She just says she doesn't like her.

Quoting mlogsdon:

Are you able to talk to Alex and see if you can find out where that reaction came from? Was it out of fear? 

HaileysMom07180
by Kelly on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM

very cool.  it may seem like not that big of a deal to some parents but it is such a big deal in our house when dd is able to make and keep a friend.  sometimes she obsesses over certain things that can drive kids away.  last year it was rolly polly's.  this year its ghosts.  

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Alex has her own aide, technically she helps another little boy but he doesn't need much help and according to his mom gets 3 hours with the aide a week. Good part is she was in preschool with him and is friends with him.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Quoting mandee1503:

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Alex is extremely obsessed with dinosaurs and dragons and will become one while playing or overstimulated. It can be frustrating as an adult, let alone other children.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

very cool.  it may seem like not that big of a deal to some parents but it is such a big deal in our house when dd is able to make and keep a friend.  sometimes she obsesses over certain things that can drive kids away.  last year it was rolly polly's.  this year its ghosts.  

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Quoting mandee1503:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)