Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Allergic reaction, measles, or chicken pox? edit @page 1

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

I have Lina a both/shower last night and we were out of the body wash that she normally uses so I used Irish Spring on her. This morning she had a rash from hell on the insides of her thighs and some spots on her stomach. Kept her home just in case. Dr looked at it said she thought it was an allergic reaction and that she has seen a lot of patients that have a reaction to Irish Spring but no other soaps. So Lina has been on Benedryl & Benedryl anti-inch cream but the bumps/rash has spread up her her belly and chest and some under her chin and it looks like a couple on her face. 

Called back like I was supposed to and the Dr on call said to use hydrocortisone on the rash keep giving her Benedryl and watch her some more and if the itching doesn't stop or the rash continues to grow then take her to the ER. She'll be in the bedroom watching cartoons and after about 20/30 minutes she comes out to tell me she itches then goes back in for another 20/30 minutes then she is back.  

I gave her a luke warm shower and washed her really well with the normal soap to get all the Irish Spring off her skin if there was any still there, had to cover 50 percent of her body with hydrocortosone. OH and I discovered I am allergic to hydrocortosone so when I have to put it on her I have to make sure that I use some kind of pad then wash my hands really well. 

Praying for NO ER. I don't think that I can get that lucky tonight. 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  •             R   &   A                Lina 
  •     teenage terror time!    special to all of us!
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:00 AM
I was allergic to Irish Speing when I was a kid. I haven't tried it in many years, though.

Hopefully that's all it is and the rash will clear up quickly.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Wow!  I'm sorry!  Hope she's better today:)

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM
I hope the rash is gone today and she feels better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Oh no! I'm sorry. I hope things get better soon.

raysma07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Hope she gets better soon!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Sounds like a reaction to me :(. Try washing her again with a mild baby soap or oatmeal wash abd see if that helps :(. Hope she's feeling better today
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Oh wow! I'm very sensitive to soaps. I don't think I've gotten rashes, just very itchy. I use dove sensitive. I tried that, didn't make me itch, and haven't touched another lol. Sorry you guys are dealing with that :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

She is still itchy and the rash is still there and there are some new bumps. Called the Dr and we go into see him at 6. I also left a message with his assistant to see if he wants to see her or take her to ER. I don't think she needs ER we just need to know what is going on.              I washed her down with a mild soap and put the hydrocortisone cream all over her body where the bumps were.

The best thing is that she is all up to date on her vaccines so in the best scenario she should not get the measles. Just that like a lot us we get one thing partially or completely under control when something else crops up.  

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  •             R   &   A                Lina 
  •     teenage terror time!    special to all of us!
2_amazing_boys
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Sounds like an allergic reaction! That is the way my son did when he had a reaction to penicllin and because he wasn't reacting to the benadryl we ended up in the hospital and on steroids for 3 days and his started as a heat rash type rash and ended up looking like welts (which were hives) and he almost went into anaphylactic (sp) shock because the dr said it was a rash from his fever! It was very scary but sounds like a reaction to me!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I'm hoping it is but when I went to put more hydrocortisone cream on her I noticed she had more and the ones that were there yesterday are looking like they are starting to get the pus look to them that chicken pox get. We see Dr at 6 and find out for sure. If it's a reaction I think it will be steroids to get rid of it like you said. I do hope reaction because tomorrow is picture day at school. 

Quoting 2_amazing_boys:

Sounds like an allergic reaction! That is the way my son did when he had a reaction to penicllin and because he wasn't reacting to the benadryl we ended up in the hospital and on steroids for 3 days and his started as a heat rash type rash and ended up looking like welts (which were hives) and he almost went into anaphylactic (sp) shock because the dr said it was a rash from his fever! It was very scary but sounds like a reaction to me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)