Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

ADHD and eye contact

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 35 Replies

Jake has a major issue with eye contact. I will hold his face to mine so that he will look at me and he still looks everywhere, but at me. It drives me crazy and the more I think about it the more I realize that he has always done this. I don't know why I am just now realizing it tho. Maybe it is because I am paying a lot more attention to the little things that he does looking for the little quirks and such, but anyway is this a problem with all ADHD kids or just some?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bellum
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

My daughter makes good eye contact.  

mlogsdon
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM
A lot of people in my family have ADHD... I've never noticed it to be an issue with them. I've only known them as adults though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2_amazing_boys
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM

that's what worries me! My step son is ADHD also and he makes good eye contact as well as a boy in my Sunday school class that has ADHD. The more I think about the kids I know with ADHD and eye contact the more it seems to be a "quirk" that my son has had for a while but I have summed it up to it being his ADHD, but all of these kids make good eye contact, but Jake doesn't.

Quoting Bellum:

My daughter makes good eye contact.  

2_amazing_boys
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM

It seems that if it was an ADHD thing that it would be across the board no matter what age...I don't know I was just curious because I have been making more observations...

Quoting mlogsdon:

A lot of people in my family have ADHD... I've never noticed it to be an issue with them. I've only known them as adults though.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:29 AM

My son is Autistic and his contact is okay...could be better.

olivvia724
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

my 7 year p;d has adhd and we noticed he refused or struggled to make eye contact with us or anyone very early on! he got past it tho

lazyd
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

that sounds more like autism, than adhd.  

2_amazing_boys
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM
my son is 7 and was dx at 4 with ADHD. He has never had good eye contact and he can't maintain at all!
Quoting olivvia724:

my 7 year p;d has adhd and we noticed he refused or struggled to make eye contact with us or anyone very early on! he got past it tho

2_amazing_boys
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM
this is what worries me!
Quoting lazyd:

that sounds more like autism, than adhd.  

DDDaysh
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Does he possibly have an ASD (Autism Spectrum Dissorder) instead of or in addition to his ADHD?  

DS have relatively good eye contact, at least most of the time.  He CAN look people in the eye, but will often choose not to.  He has a secondary diagnosis of "Asperger's" though, and I've always chalked his eye contact issues up to that most of the time.  There are sometimes when he's just obviously going off on a different mental direction though, and those times I do have to hold his head to get him to look me in the eye and focus on me.  

I also have ADHD (probably - DS's doctors think so).  I am trying to remember me as a child.  I had trouble with eye contact during public speaking when I was very young - 2nd and 3rd grade.  I had to be trained to do it.  I also sometimes still have trouble moving my fixual focus.  If I am thinking about something I'll often stare at one specific spot.  Even if I start to move my head, my eyes will be fixed there.  I sometimes have to "think about it", close my eyes, move my head, and then look somewhere else.  

Not sure if any of this helps...  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)