Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech Apraxia

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 22 Replies

Does anyone have a child with Speech Apraxia.

My 4 year old got diagnosed a year ago with it and i have never met anyone else with a kid who has been diagnosed.

Just looking for someone to talk to about it.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:01 PM
We don't. Here's a bump!
Mipsy
by Chelle on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was diagnosed with that a few years ago. It's virtually gone at this point, it still shows itself occcasionallybut we were lucky enough that our ST has it herself so she knew just how to work on it with him! 

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM

welcome 

jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM
My son has moderate to severe speech delays. I have been told (by the Geneticist) that he has speech apraxia, but I'm not really sure. His SLP has never indicated it. He doesn't seem to really grope for words the way I have heard kids with apraxia do. He does have major articulation issues, though, and he is not understandable to many people, especially those unfamiliar with him. Even we sometimes can't figure out what he is trying to say. He is 8 and is on a toddler-preschool level for expressive language skills, much higher for receptive language (which is a sign of apraxia), so I just don't know... Sorry, that was probably no help!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Welcome to the group!

3boysngirl
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Yea my son does his speech is still not perfect
Christy_517
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Yep. My son is 5 and is just now (like the past year) starting to have real 2 way conversations. Only about 30 -40% of what he says is intelligible but he's talking! :) He uses an iPad and Touch Chat to communicate in addition to what he can say. Articulation is a huge issue and as he tries more sentences we're noticing that he'll have words out of order. Also, he mostly refers to himself in third person. He understands I and me, but usually says DJ instead. He's made HUGE strides and I'm so excited that he's communicating more :)
Kasey91286
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM

We just started him in a 2 hour class with other kids with speech issues and they focus the class around language and communication. Just in the past 3 months he has made such amazing progress. He can finally talk in full sentences! He still mispronounces a lot of words but you can for the most part understand just about everything he is trying to say.

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

when my son now 13 was much younger he also referred to himself in 3rd person he  stopped doin this during many years of speech therapy

Quoting Christy_517:

Yep. My son is 5 and is just now (like the past year) starting to have real 2 way conversations. Only about 30 -40% of what he says is intelligible but he's talking! :) He uses an iPad and Touch Chat to communicate in addition to what he can say. Articulation is a huge issue and as he tries more sentences we're noticing that he'll have words out of order. Also, he mostly refers to himself in third person. He understands I and me, but usually says DJ instead. He's made HUGE strides and I'm so excited that he's communicating more :)

golfqueen123
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM

My 6 year old with down syndrome does, actually just found out  not to long ago so am still doing research to learn as much as I can, for now just lots of speech threapy!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)