Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bummer dr. apt today.

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

Today Chelsea had an ECHO to see if the hole in her heart had closed up.  It has seemed that her breathing has been easier, so I had kinda assumed it had, but I was wrong.  Still waiting to hear from the dr if it's smaller or bigger and where to go from here.  Seems they aren't overly concerned though.  The tech said if it doesn't close up, they'll just keep an eye on it and may do surgury once she's a teen.  Until then she'll be more prone to getting sick.  Just one more hurdle.  I still don't understand it all though.  Besides her being so quiet, she seems healthy to me.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM
*hugs* keep us updated!
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

i know our kids can seem healthy on the outside but inside is a diff story

jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM
What kind of heart defect is it? My son had a large (18 mm) ASD that had to be repaired. When he was 6 weeks old it was only 6 mm and they thought it might close on it's own, but instead it grew and grew (very unusual they said). He was sick all.the.time with chronic pneumonia because of over-saturation of his lungs because of it. He also couldn't gain weight and developed very high pulmonary hypertension. He had it repaired at 27 mos old, 6 years ago today, in fact. Since the repair, he is much healthier, gaining weight (although he still has major feeding issues) and his pulmonary hypertension is only mild.

Anyway, I hope your daughter stays healthy! If she starts experiencing any of the above, make sure to bring it up to the cardiologist.
imapepper
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

she also has an ASD.  Not sure the size.  They said it wasn't very big when they first saw it at about a week old and I don't know if the size has changed.

Quoting jjamom:

What kind of heart defect is it? My son had a large (18 mm) ASD that had to be repaired. When he was 6 weeks old it was only 6 mm and they thought it might close on it's own, but instead it grew and grew (very unusual they said). He was sick all.the.time with chronic pneumonia because of over-saturation of his lungs because of it. He also couldn't gain weight and developed very high pulmonary hypertension. He had it repaired at 27 mos old, 6 years ago today, in fact. Since the repair, he is much healthier, gaining weight (although he still has major feeding issues) and his pulmonary hypertension is only mild.

Anyway, I hope your daughter stays healthy! If she starts experiencing any of the above, make sure to bring it up to the cardiologist.

mlogsdon
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Hugs momma. Sorry it wasn't good news :( hopefully it's at least smaller than it was!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Hugs!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Hugs mama!  Keep us posted!

jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Hopefully it will close on it's own, since many do. My son also had a VSD, but it was pretty small (only about 2 mm, I think) and it closed on it's own. :)

When we go to the cardio, they do the echo there in the office and the doctor watches it while we're there, so no waiting. Sometimes she even comes in to take a look as it's being done, if she wants them to get a better look at something, for example.

I'd try not to go on what the tech says (when it comes to treatment) and wait for word from the doctor. I know waiting has to be hard. Keep us updated.

How old is your daughter now?

Quoting imapepper:she also has an ASD.  Not sure the size.  They said it wasn't very big when they first saw it at about a week old and I don't know if the size has changed.
Quoting jjamom:What kind of heart defect is it? My son had a large (18 mm) ASD that had to be repaired. When he was 6 weeks old it was only 6 mm and they thought it might close on it's own, but instead it grew and grew (very unusual they said). He was sick all.the.time with chronic pneumonia because of over-saturation of his lungs because of it. He also couldn't gain weight and developed very high pulmonary hypertension. He had it repaired at 27 mos old, 6 years ago today, in fact. Since the repair, he is much healthier, gaining weight (although he still has major feeding issues) and his pulmonary hypertension is only mild.

DDDaysh
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Hearts are pretty amazing. They can function fairly well even when not anatomically perfect. I hope hers will close on it's own, but I'm glad to hear she's mostly healthy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)