Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Do you ever feel judged?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 15 Replies

Do you ever feel judged by the people at your kids school, when they have meltdowns?

My son had a pretty bad one last week and all this week, I have gotten a weird 'vibe' from one of the teacher and one of the aides. I feel like they are looking at me like it is my fault or something. 

Maybe Im being sensitive, but I just can't shake the judgemental feeling I have gotten this past week. 

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM

sorry you are feeling this way , i know how it is , just remember teachers are [supposed to]   not make it as a thing we moms feel this way , but i know its hard

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I'm sorry mama...I bet they understand...is your child in a special ed class?  Do the teachers/staff know about your child's diagnosis?  If so, I bet they understand:)  Hugs!

mlogsdon
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I don't have a school aged child yet, so I haven't had to deal with that. So far I haven't had any judgement from anyone though... When he has meltdowns in public no one has a problem with it, he still looks young enough for that to be acceptable/understandable. Everyone always thinks he's much younger than he is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I'm so sorry.
Jenn8604
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heldcaptiveby2
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Yes, I am also the mother of a special needs child. And to be perfectly honest I do feel judged sometimes from teachers, but mostly by other mothers or strangers that witness myson's tantrums in a store.
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Not at school because we homeschool, but I'm starting to run into this because he is too old for tantrums but still has meltdowns.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I feel judged a lot.  People that see us out in public, parents that share the classroom with my kids, gen ed teachers and aids that work with my kids, 'perfect' parents that don't understand disabilities, doctors/nurses, even family and friends that just can't get it.  I feel it a lot, and it is not enjoyable, but I'm at the point where it does not bother me anymore.  I am very strong in our reality and what the truth is.  I spread as much awareness as possible, but it is my job to take care of my kids, not educate the ignorant that are not willing to grow in their views. 

Hugs mama.  I could have written your post!  I'm in the exact same boat at school right now, and I know it to be valid as an inside employee has told me flat out some of what occurs, and is trying to help me make improvements on the inside.  I think teachers and aids that can not handle children with special needs are in the wrong job!  These children are here to stay and many will be coming up after them.

Opie99
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM

My son is not in school but I defiantly feel it from others. My son is tall so he looks older than he is, and sometimes he just can't. Whatever it is he just can't.

My hubbs family doesn't understand why he can't just sit still or be quiet, strangers don't understand why he is freaking out about his lunch, even have to remind hubby about it sometimes. I wonder if it's me putting pressure on myself to be on "top of it" and make everything perfect, or if it's outside pressure. 

anyway you are not alone in that boat.

andersonmommy2
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Not so much at school since he goes to a school with all special needs kids, but when we are out in public and he has a meltdown and I'm trying to cool him down I get stares from every where. I told a lady a few days ago when he had a meltdown, That if she was going to look and stare at my child like that then she could at least come over and give him a hug. Nope walked on off. Yeah well my son doesn't like you staring at him either. It does make it hard but people need to realize that we don't live in a PERFECT world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN