Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Autism, Folic acid, Cause.. HELP couple questions.. Edit in purple.

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 41 Replies

Hello,

So I am curious to know, If you have a child with Autism did you have another child after who didnt have any issues? Whats was the spacing if "fine second child"?

SECOND: I am wondering, because I had read so much different information that I am unsure what is actual fact and what is not real legit. Ok they say that prenatal vitamins with all the nurtition for babies is supposed to be an amazing thing, the ehh part is that one of the things I have read is that FOLIC ACID can cause Autism.. Thoughts?? FACTS??

THIRD: Does under a 2 year spacing really cause autism and what other issues have you experienced if any?

Thank you so  very much ladies for sharing your thoughts, and idea's as well as helpful websites! I truly mean this, you all are wonderful. =)

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BellaMama7
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM

BUMP

jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I don't have a child with autism, but here's a bump.

The only thing I do know is that it is recommended that pregnant women get enough folic acid during pregnancy because a deficiency in folic acid has been associated with neural tube defects. I'm not sure about folic acid being associated with causing autism. But, I don't know. Have you asked your OB/GYN about it?
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM

1 - I have 4 children total, only 1 has autism.  But I can't answer this one the best as my son with ASD is child #2, but the 1st of 3 triplets born, which were my last kids.

2 - I have not heard about a folic acid correlation, but my opinion would be no it does not cause autism.  Autism is the way the brain is wired.

3 - I don't think there is validity that the spacing of time between having children would have any correlation to autism.  I think it happens at random, and is an increased chance if your child's form is genetic or autism runs in your families.

StarLight23
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Bumping

BellaMama7
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM

1. Wow, triplets how is that? Multiples interest me.

2. This is personal, but were stressed out during your pregnancy with your child who has the autism?

3. I'm trying to learn more about Autism, my youngest has it.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

1 - I have 4 children total, only 1 has autism.  But I can't answer this one the best as my son with ASD is child #2, but the 1st of 3 triplets born, which were my last kids.

2 - I have not heard about a folic acid correlation, but my opinion would be no it does not cause autism.  Autism is the way the brain is wired.

3 - I don't think there is validity that the spacing of time between having children would have any correlation to autism.  I think it happens at random, and is an increased chance if your child's form is genetic or autism runs in your families.

megs2boys
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM

My first two boys are only 15 months apart and are healthy, neuro typical children. My 3rd son was born 2 1.2 year laster and has severe low functioning autism. I did not take prenatals consistently with any of my pregnancies. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM

1. Crazy, always.  Gotta love my Grandma's genes she passed on for multiples!  They are great kids, just born too early and therefore have lingering developmental delays and some permanent disabilities.  But they are wonderful kiddos!

2.  I was very calm and happy, but my body was stressed/pained.  It was a complicated high risk pregnancy with the trips.  I was on anti-nausea drugs the entire time, couldn't walk and was taken off work around 21 weeks, started contractions around 23 weeks, delivered at 27 in emergency c-section.  Even at 27 weeks I measured about what a 44 week person would. Lol!

3. autismspeaks.org is a great website with valid information.  My teacher and I also love the book "Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew' by Ellen Notbahm on a level more relating to the child.  That's great you're educating yourself all you can.  There are great books/resources available!

Quoting BellaMama7:

1. Wow, triplets how is that? Multiples interest me.

2. This is personal, but were stressed out during your pregnancy with your child who has the autism?

3. I'm trying to learn more about Autism, my youngest has it.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I only have one child w/ adhd/aspergers BUT

I've read the studies you are talking about.

If you have a child w/ autism, the probability that a subsequent child will have autism or other SNs increases.

If you have a child w/ autism and she is a girl, the probability that a subsequent child will have autism is very high.

Spacing does affect the probability of autism.

About the folic acid, my understanding about folic acid is that it *reduces* the risk of autism. http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2013/03/12/more-about-prenatal-folic-acid-and-autism

Good places to find the latest research are autismspeaks.com and sciencedaily.com (http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyword=autism)

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My kids are 14 months apart. dd is NT, ds has ASD and other issues. My diet was actually much worse with dd, i craved  ice all the time, and had constant nasuea that would not go away even with medication so i know i was lacking alot through that. We are ttc right now so now im curious if baby #3 will be at a increased or decreased risk..hmmmm

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Do you have any links about the spacing? I'll google some too. im very curious about this now.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I only have one child w/ adhd/aspergers BUT

I've read the studies you are talking about.

If you have a child w/ autism, the probability that a subsequent child will have autism or other SNs increases.

If you have a child w/ autism and she is a girl, the probability that a subsequent child will have autism is very high.

Spacing does affect the probability of autism.

About the folic acid, my understanding about folic acid is that it *reduces* the risk of autism. http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2013/03/12/more-about-prenatal-folic-acid-and-autism

Good places to find the latest research are autismspeaks.com and sciencedaily.com (http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyword=autism)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN