Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Kindness of strangers

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 16 Replies
My husband took my son out to get a haircut today, he was way overdue. The lady my husband goes to is an older woman, and she always remembers them. She has sent DH home with her phone number in case we needed a sitter, and sent them home today with a baby blanket she had made for her own son. She really is the sweetest thing, and apparently her son had medical issues, too. I just find it so amazing that out of allllll the people she sees every day, she remembers my husband and son, and goes out of her way to be sweet to them. She told them today that Nathaniel is pretty much the only one she remembers and enjoys cutting lol. She is also the ONLY one that can do it without making him scream and cry the whole time.

When I find someone like that it just really warms my heart. Have any of you had this type of experience?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww.  Great story! 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That is wonderful.

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

We have had a few nurses who have really touched me.

We end up running into the same one every now and then. miss katie is one of my favorite, she has always been his advocate. We first met her during his brain scan. She came in, looked at the chart, and without saying anything tried to get his attention to see how interactive he is, how verbal and so on. She didnt push anything. She blew up a glove and put a smily face on it, and sat it next to him. he put his hand on it and smiled a little. She went about questions and what not. And where as others usually dont understand all his history the the significance of certain events she was 100% on everything. She came by after he was in recovery just to check on him, and has requested to see him throughout stays just to say hi :)

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Zack had an ot that was awesome. We don't use her anymore, but she works in the same place Magge and Jer get their ot. She asks about Zack all the time and I still text her when I have questions or what not. She's the sweetest lady :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this

How sweet!  Love that!

luvnature
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM

That is so awesome. I'm very happy for you. yes I have encountered people like that through the years. The last person I remember who was genuinely the sweetest person ever was my daughter's last elementary teacher. He was her teacher for 5 yrs (SCC homeroom....SCC means Self Contained Classroom). he took my dd under his wing and was not only her teacher, but also the one person in whom she confided whenever she ran into problems with the regular studends (like bullies etc.). She told him everything that upsetted her at school and because of him, dd has very good memories from elementary school. he was a teacher that was not afraid to give his students a hug when they needed one and he always had an encouraging word for each student in his classroom. He even drove my dd home one day during his lunchtime because she was not feeling well and my dh was at work and I don't drive and had no way to get my dd. that is how nice he was. I learned that he was transferred to another school in another town a few years ago. 

jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I tried to reply to this yesterday but my battery went dead in the middle of my reply!

It sounds like your son made a huge impression on this lady's heart! I think this would happen a lot more often if more people would open their hearts and minds a little. What a thoughtful thing for her to do with the blanket. Thanks for sharing. :)
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM
That's great! It's awesome when you find someone that actually cares and "gets it" :)

Quoting SnapShotMama:

We have had a few nurses who have really touched me.

We end up running into the same one every now and then. miss katie is one of my favorite, she has always been his advocate. We first met her during his brain scan. She came in, looked at the chart, and without saying anything tried to get his attention to see how interactive he is, how verbal and so on. She didnt push anything. She blew up a glove and put a smily face on it, and sat it next to him. he put his hand on it and smiled a little. She went about questions and what not. And where as others usually dont understand all his history the the significance of certain events she was 100% on everything. She came by after he was in recovery just to check on him, and has requested to see him throughout stays just to say hi :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I have Nathaniel's OT and Speech therapists on my FB :) I actually consider them friends now, they're fantastic. It's nice that you're able to keep on touch and ask questions still!

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Zack had an ot that was awesome. We don't use her anymore, but she works in the same place Magge and Jer get their ot. She asks about Zack all the time and I still text her when I have questions or what not. She's the sweetest lady :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Wow! I've had some great teachers, but never anyone like that. That must have been really good for your daughter. :)

Quoting luvnature:

That is so awesome. I'm very happy for you. yes I have encountered people like that through the years. The last person I remember who was genuinely the sweetest person ever was my daughter's last elementary teacher. He was her teacher for 5 yrs (SCC homeroom....SCC means Self Contained Classroom). he took my dd under his wing and was not only her teacher, but also the one person in whom she confided whenever she ran into problems with the regular studends (like bullies etc.). She told him everything that upsetted her at school and because of him, dd has very good memories from elementary school. he was a teacher that was not afraid to give his students a hug when they needed one and he always had an encouraging word for each student in his classroom. He even drove my dd home one day during his lunchtime because she was not feeling well and my dh was at work and I don't drive and had no way to get my dd. that is how nice he was. I learned that he was transferred to another school in another town a few years ago. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN