Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Meningitis Vaccine

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this
Anyone's child have the meningitis vaccine? My daughter's pediatrician said they usually give it to kids around age 11. He said it is approved now for ages 6 months and up and wants my 3 yr old to get it as soon as she isn't sick. I guess he is really starting to worry about what is wrong with her. He started by telling me she needs to have blood work done to check her immune system and then says she needs this shot. I will read up on it, but I didn't know if anyone else has a child that young that got it. Thanks!
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mudwrap
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Yeah that should be fine.
SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Ds almost died from bacterial meningitis, but he contracted it from a vaccine. We do not vax (havent since around 2010) for that reason.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I'm sure we did it.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I'd have to pull out Lina's shot record and look to see if they gave her one. It took me a while to get her all caught up with her shots.

2010twingirls
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM
She has had all of the required vaccines for her age. I guess since she keeps getting sick and antibiotics aren't helping her (they help the other kids - just not her) that the doctor is worried about her getting it and wants her to get the shot now instead of waiting until she is 11 which is when it is recommended they get it. I think if she wasn't always sick that he would never had mentioned it. He didn't tell me to get all of the kids vaccinated just her. What I read was that it is only recommended for that age if they have an immune problem which is what the doctor is afraid of I guess. We joke that you can't mention an illness around her with her catching it. But I am starting to think it isn't a joke because she is seriously sick all of the time. Her twin sister gets sick maybe one out of every 4 or 5 times she is sick. It is sad.

Quoting Linagma03:

I'd have to pull out Lina's shot record and look to see if they gave her one. It took me a while to get her all caught up with her shots.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM

It does sound like something he is concerned about. It is nice that he isn't one of those Dr that tries to push vaccines on people. I personally would really think about it. This is the first year that Lina has gotten a flu shot and that was because of the pneumonia she got last year and the couple other minor bugs that went around. She has been a physically healthy child until the last year or so. Dr and I talked about pros & cons then made the decision to give it to her. Like you I wasn't sure if it was really necessary so it was a decision that wasn't easy to make.

Quoting 2010twingirls:

She has had all of the required vaccines for her age. I guess since she keeps getting sick and antibiotics aren't helping her (they help the other kids - just not her) that the doctor is worried about her getting it and wants her to get the shot now instead of waiting until she is 11 which is when it is recommended they get it. I think if she wasn't always sick that he would never had mentioned it. He didn't tell me to get all of the kids vaccinated just her. What I read was that it is only recommended for that age if they have an immune problem which is what the doctor is afraid of I guess. We joke that you can't mention an illness around her with her catching it. But I am starting to think it isn't a joke because she is seriously sick all of the time. Her twin sister gets sick maybe one out of every 4 or 5 times she is sick. It is sad.

Quoting Linagma03:

nicki.hemingway
by Nicki on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM

At least in the college age set this vaccine has failed.  It did not decrease menigitis infections.  It also is for a set number of strains not all so you can still get menigitis.  Most menigitis is very treatable with early care. 

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM

My dd is immune to amox (the typical go to antibiotic), she was on it for such long times with non-stop ear infections that it just stoped working, they went to a stronger one and over time same thing happened. She was put on cifidir (i think thats the spelling) over the summer and we found out she is highly allergic to it! It can be very hard to find somthing that works :/ Have they tried diffrent types/streghnths?

Quoting 2010twingirls:

Quoting Linagma03:

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Yup, it's like a flu shot, the flu shot only protects against what they guess will be the most seen strain for that flu season, so you can still get the flu, or contract the flu from getting the shot (though much less common can happen). The most effected by meningitis are usually babies and elderly. The symptoms can present like a cold, ear infection or the flu, and can be mis-diagnosed easily, that is what causes the risk of death. bacterial meningitis can kill within 24hrs if not caught.

ds was 10 days old when he had bacterial meningitis, it's caused brain damage, scaring, possible CP, hypotonia, feeding, walking and speech delays and issues, and many others. Viral is less severe and easy to manage with a better recovery and long term prognosis.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

At least in the college age set this vaccine has failed.  It did not decrease menigitis infections.  It also is for a set number of strains not all so you can still get menigitis.  Most menigitis is very treatable with early care. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I honestly haven't heard of it until now...interesting.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN