Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Kiddos with high pain tolerance?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 24 Replies

I thought Lina might have a high pain tolerance and I was right. Last night Lina decided to mess with a mouse trap and snapped it on her hand. She didn't cry she just held her hand up with the trap dangling from her little finger. Before I could move she just pulled it off. I checked her hand and there was a red mark but nothing else. I asked her if it hurt and she said a little bit. Now this whole time she is smiling at me.

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Yup! It's a good and bad thing. My dd has a very high tolerence as well. In most cases its good. For like scraps or bonks. But on the other hand it is a good thing to know when there is pain. Ds has a temp thing. He wants to wear coats in the summer and shorts in the winter -_- lol
tinkerspell
by Kera on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:32 AM

my zoe bite thru her lip last saterday cried for like five minutes and then just wanted to play again too bad for her we had to go to the hospital.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Wow!  That's amazing!  

notomatoes
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM

its a lack of pain receptors, or high pain tolerace , its apperently genetic, it runs in families, though the origin of it isnt clear, or what was the original plan to a high pain tolerance ( besides freaking out your parents)..my sister, me and my daughter all have the same "problem" high pain tolerance..my sister once fell and broke 26 bones in her foot and refused all pain meds! after i gave birth to my daughter in our apartment bathroom, after being snowed in( and my obgyn refusing to answer the phone) i refused all pain meds..my obgyn broght in a follow doctor to try to get more information ( he was apprently doing a study of some kind) who was  very frustrated when he hit a genetic deadend ( i informed the doctor i had no clue where the " problem" came from, my mother was adopted )..more later..i had to learn to "act hurt" even if something didnt hurt, because i simply didnt feel pain, fall out of a tree? yawn..get up brush yourself off..no, you have to "act hurt" , because falling out of a tree "should have hurt"..more later

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I've done some thinking about it and realized that when she's fallen it only freaks her out if she sees she's hurt or gets a hole in her clothes.  Fall up the stairs "I'm okay". I'm going to have to check out her little falls just to make sure now that she's really okay.

Quoting SnapShotMama:

Yup! It's a good and bad thing. My dd has a very high tolerence as well. In most cases its good. For like scraps or bonks. But on the other hand it is a good thing to know when there is pain. Ds has a temp thing. He wants to wear coats in the summer and shorts in the winter -_- lol

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Now its got me wondering just how much pain is she actually in when she tells me that her tummy hurts. I think this could be why blood draws & shots don't bother her she'll ask if it will hurt but she never cries about it & asks for 2 stickers when she's done.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Wow!  That's amazing!  

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I'm going to do some research on this and see what it says. Her mother has a normal pain tolerance as well as her brother and sister. Makes me wonder if this is another thing related to her chromosome abnormalities or maybe from her father. I'll have to contact him and ask about it. I raised her mother so I know with her (she's my SD).

Quoting notomatoes:

its a lack of pain receptors, or high pain tolerace , its apperently genetic, it runs in families, though the origin of it isnt clear, or what was the original plan to a high pain tolerance ( besides freaking out your parents)..my sister, me and my daughter all have the same "problem" high pain tolerance..my sister once fell and broke 26 bones in her foot and refused all pain meds! after i gave birth to my daughter in our apartment bathroom, after being snowed in( and my obgyn refusing to answer the phone) i refused all pain meds..my obgyn broght in a follow doctor to try to get more information ( he was apprently doing a study of some kind) who was  very frustrated when he hit a genetic deadend ( i informed the doctor i had no clue where the " problem" came from, my mother was adopted )..more later..i had to learn to "act hurt" even if something didnt hurt, because i simply didnt feel pain, fall out of a tree? yawn..get up brush yourself off..no, you have to "act hurt" , because falling out of a tree "should have hurt"..more later

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM
I have the opposite problem here. D acts like every teensy scratch or drop of blood warrants a trip to ER.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notomatoes
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

response to pain is an automatic response, not so, if you have no pain receptors, instead it is an "learned response" you learn that something should have hurt from watching the response of the people around you..you say, "oh, i just fell off my bike after flipping it, gee, that SHOULD have hurt..MAAAAA!!!" think long and hard before talking to your ped.  about this high pain tolerance with your child, the doctor will probably label you a mental case and have cps camped out on your doorstep, my husband and i talked about our daughter apprently having the same "problem" that i have and my sister has, and we decided that the best way to keep from being labeled a crackpot or mental case by the doctor or cps, is to simplyteach our daughter to act hurt, when something should have hurt, i had to learn it, so did my sister, it can be done

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Yup that's what I have to do. If you react when dd falls she will cry..not because she feels hurt but because she thonks she is hurt, shes busted her chin open which needed stitches but wanted to stop for burgers on the way to the hospital. .she seriously could not have cared less lol she had this huge abscess from smacking herself in the face with the door and again could not have cared less. She was on 10 days of antibiotics then had it lanced and a tooth pulled....did not care at all lol

Quoting Linagma03:

I've done some thinking about it and realized that when she's fallen it only freaks her out if she sees she's hurt or gets a hole in her clothes.  Fall up the stairs "I'm okay". I'm going to have to check out her little falls just to make sure now that she's really okay.

Quoting SnapShotMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)