Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello!!!  My almost 4 year old was just diagnosed after a massive seizure this weekend.  I was just looking for Friends in the same situation.  She is very mild but now her quirks make more sense!  I have seen children with severe but never mild.  I am just wondering what to expect in the coming days, month, years!

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
nicki.hemingway
by Nicki on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM

My son had a brain injury at 8 weeks old following a vaccine.  We knew he had brain damage within days.  He got his formal dx at 2.  For Ds he was late on all milestones (still is) and still requires AFO's to walk.

Quoting talisha32:

Did you know immediately?  What where his signs?  Has he gotten worse? 

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

My son has mild-moderate cp. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Halloween tickers
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I always wonder what that is... "Mild-moderate". I think that my son is "moderate-severe", but I'm not really sure. He can take a few steps in a walker, but mostly uses a wheelchair. Non-verbal, but can answer simple questions with his iPad. Has a hard time chewing, and takes forever to eat. Spasticity in his legs. Cognitively about 2 years old.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

nicki.hemingway
by Nicki on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Aj is 3 1/2 developmentally 2.  He walks with AFOs and we are waiting on a wheelchair for distances.  Aj talks but few people outside of family can understand him.  Aj does have some feeding issues.  Spasticity in legs and hips, and right hand, low tone in torso and neck. 

Quoting Elyssa414:

I always wonder what that is... "Mild-moderate". I think that my son is "moderate-severe", but I'm not really sure. He can take a few steps in a walker, but mostly uses a wheelchair. Non-verbal, but can answer simple questions with his iPad. Has a hard time chewing, and takes forever to eat. Spasticity in his legs. Cognitively about 2 years old.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Halloween tickers
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this
My son has severe cp and seizures. We are here for you!
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM
That info-graphic I posted on Jacobs page a few days back explain it well! I'd say he is moderate to severe from what you've told us.

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Oh, I missed that! I will go check it out.

Quoting mandee1503:

That info-graphic I posted on Jacobs page a few days back explain it well! I'd say he is moderate to severe from what you've told us.

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Oh, ok. Thanks for explaining that! My little one with CP is 9, but has only been with us for a year, so I feel like I'm still learning so much!

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Aj is 3 1/2 developmentally 2.  He walks with AFOs and we are waiting on a wheelchair for distances.  Aj talks but few people outside of family can understand him.  Aj does have some feeding issues.  Spasticity in legs and hips, and right hand, low tone in torso and neck. 

Quoting Elyssa414:

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:26 AM

ds neuro wants to eval him for cp. after reaserching it he def does have the signs, but he is mild compared to most.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Welcome to the group!

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I don't have a child with it, but I do have a couple of friends who have the milder side of CP.  One of them has some difficulty walking and has an abnormal gait, so she uses a scooter when she has to go long distances.  The other one looks and acts totally normal, it only really impacted his fine motor control and continence.  So, he tends to wear alot of slip on shoes. 

They are both independent professionals.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)